Golsan Drops Down Walk-Off Winning Bunt
ASHEVILLE - The Asheville Tourists delivered a late comeback win of their own on Saturday night with a 6-5 walk-off victory over the Columbia Fireflies. Asheville scored the game-tying run in the bottom of the eighth inning and won it with a run in the bottom of the ninth.
Will Golsan stepped to the plate with Terrin Vavra at first base and no outs in the game's final frame. Golsan dropped down a bunt with the intention of sacrificing Vavra to second base. The bunt was a good one and it forced Columbia's pitcher, Jose Moreno, to hurry the throw. Moreno hurled the baseball past the first-baseman and it traveled into the right field corner.
Vavra raced around the bases and scored as the Fireflies scrambled to fire the ball back in. Golsan was awarded a sacrifice and he helped the Tourists do damage early in the game as well. Asheville took a 1-0 lead on a Grant Lavigne sacrifice fly in the first inning.
The Tourists added three more in the second thanks to four extra-base hits in the frame. Willie MacIver and Kyle Datres hit back-to-back triples, Daniel Montano hammered an RBI double, and Golsan capped the inning with an RBI double of his own.
The Fireflies responded well. Columbia scored the game's next five runs and took a 5-4 lead into the eighth. Lavigne gave the Tourists a base-runner with a leadoff single and Datres plated him from first with a two-out double off the right field wall. That sequence tied the game at five.
Alexander Martinez held the Fireflies scoreless in the top of the ninth. Martinez was in a little trouble with runners at second and third; however, he induced a groundout followed by a scintillating strikeout to end the threat. The Tourists would walk off five pitches later.
Asheville and Columbia are back in action on Sunday afternoon for their final matchup of the season. The game will begin at 2:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Senger Plates Three, Fireflies Fall in Ninth - Columbia Fireflies
- 14 Strikeouts Lead to 8-1 Loss Saturday Night for Kannapolis - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Offense Breaks out to Beat Kannapolis 8-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Langeliers Drives Rome to 5-3 Victory over Hagerstown - Rome Braves
- Dogs Bats Stay Quiet in Hickory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Errors Cost 'Birds in G-Boro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Hold RiverDogs to Two Hits in Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Gutierrez Homers, But Claws Fall 3-2 to West Virginia - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Davis' Eighth-Inning Single Vaults Power to 3-2 Win - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Legends Fall in Game Three to Drive - Lexington Legends
- Golsan Drops Down Walk-Off Winning Bunt - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Suffer First Loss in Second Half - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: June 22 at Asheville (Game 69) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 22) - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Rome on the losing end of lopsided affair - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.