Dash Beat Woodpeckers in Thursday's Rain-Shortened Game
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. - Thanks to a strong offensive performance, Winston-Salem outlasted Fayetteville 8-5 in a rain-shortened, seven-inning game at Segra Stadium on Thursday night.
Winston-Salem (9-12, 24-17) took the early lead in the third against Woodpeckers right-hander Cody Deason (0-1). JJ Muno walked to start the frame, and, three batters later, Muno came in to score on a balk by Deason.
Fayetteville (10-11, 41-48) promptly tied it up in the bottom of the frame against Dash starter Konnor Pilkington (2-5). Scott Manea led off the frame with a walk, and Jeremy Pena drove him in on an RBI double to left-center to knot the contest at one.
However, the Dash retook the edge in the fourth. Steele Walker hit a leadoff double, and, after back-to-back outs, Craig Dedelow drew a walk to put runners on first and second. Then, Carlos Perez bounced a run-scoring single through the right side to make it a 2-1 contest.
Then, Muno stroked a two-run triple to right-center, and, on the play, a throwing error from Pena to third allowed Muno to cross home plate and make it a 5-1 Dash lead.
In the fifth, Walker hit a sacrifice fly to increase the lead to five before the Woodpeckers plated two runs in the bottom of the inning. Pilkington ended up going five innings, allowing six hits and three earned runs while walking two and striking out six.
The following frame, two rain delays halted play, but Michael Papierski's RBI single made it a 6-4 ballgame. But, after the second rain delay came to an end, Jake Elliott struck out Scott Manea to end the frame.
To start the seventh, Muno grounded a single to right, and Yeyson Yrizarri followed with a single to left-center. After Tyler Frost drew a walk to load the bases, Mitch Roman recorded a run-scoring walk to make it 7-4. Walker capped the Dash's scoring efforts with a run-scoring fielder's choice.
Fayetteville's Jake Adams hit a sacrifice fly in the seventh to cut the deficit to three, but Elliott ultimately earned the save in the win. After the top of the eighth, rain started to fall, ultimately canceling the rest of the game.
Winston-Salem wraps up its three-game set against Fayetteville on Friday at Segra Stadium. Right-hander Zach Lewis (5-3, 5.82 ERA) will take the hill for the Dash against Fayetteville right-hander Jojanse Torres (2-0 ,2.38 ERA). First pitch is set for 7 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast, MiLB.tv and the TuneIn Radio App.
Following a six-game road trip to Fayetteville and Down East, the Dash return to BB&T Ballpark for a six-game homestand against the Wilmington Blue Rocks and Down East Wood Ducks from July 17-22.
The homestand gets started with a Winston Wednesday and a Wing Wednesday, with $10 presale tickets, Warthogs jerseys and 50 cent wings. Following Wednesday's contest, there will be a Lowes Foods Thirsty Thursday and Pups in the Park Night presented by Handy & Handy Orthodontics. The series finale with Wilmington will be a Fireworks Friday and a Hometown Heroes USA Night with discounted tickets available for veterans and first responders. Kids Run the Bases, presented by New Balance Winston-Salem, will take place following Friday's game.
The three-game set with Down East kicks off with a Chick-fil-A Four Pack Night and live music on Saturday. Sunday's contest will be a Lowes Foods Family Sunday. Kids Run the Bases, presented by New Balance Winston-Salem, will follow Saturday's game and Sunday's game. The series with Down East concludes with a Free Food Monday with free hot dogs and fries available until 8:30 p.m. and corn dogs while supplies last. For tickets and more information call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Keys and Mudcats Split Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Four Homers Power Wood Ducks To Series Sweep Of Lynchburg - Down East Wood Ducks
- Melendez Homer Leads to Doubleheader Sweep for Wilmington - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Payne's Two Homers Lead Birds to Victory over Potomac in Series Finale - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Quartet of Homers Leads Down East to Sweep of Lynchburg - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Woodpeckers Silence Dash in Rain-Shortened Contest - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Potomac Loses Early Advantage in 9-4 Defeat - Potomac Nationals
- Woodpeckers Outlast Dash in Rain-Shortened Series Finale - Winston-Salem Dash
- Karns Joins Keys on MLB Rehab - Frederick Keys
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 12 at Fayetteville) - Winston-Salem Dash
- P-Nats Pack Saturday 7/20 Doubleheader with Woodstock 50th Anniversary Theme Jersey, Juan Soto Bobblehead, Fred McGriff Autograph Signing, & Fireworks - Potomac Nationals
- July 12 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- July 12 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 12 vs. Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- OF Jose Gutierrez assigned to Myrtle Beach from Short Season Low A Eugene - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash Beat Woodpeckers in Thursday's Rain-Shortened Game - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Dash's Series Finale against Down East Canceled on Monday
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 22 vs. Down East)
- Dedelow Earns CL Player of the Week Honors
- RHP Tyler Johnson promoted to Double-A Birmingham from Winston-Salem
- Dash to Recognize Muse Family on August 3