Woodpeckers Outlast Dash in Rain-Shortened Series Finale
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. - The Woodpeckers took an early lead against the Dash and never look back on Friday, as Winston-Salem fell against Fayetteville 4-0 in a six-inning, rain-shortened contest at Segra Stadium.
Jeremy Pena led off the bottom of the first with a triple against Dash starter Zach Lewis (5-4), and Corey Julks followed with a walk. After Chandler Taylor struck out, Jake Adams bounced into a run-scoring fielder's choice to make it a 1-0 contest.
In the next frame, Pena stroked a two-run triple down the left-field line to up Fayetteville's (11-11, 42-49) advantage to three. Lewis delivered a 1-2-3 inning in the third, but the Woodpeckers added on their final tally in the fourth. Enmanuel Valdez hit a one-out double, and, two batters later, Ross Adolph lined an RBI triple down the left-field line to up the Woodpeckers edge to four.
Lewis ended up going six innings, yielding five hits and four runs while walking two and striking out six. It marked the second consecutive outing Lewis went six frames.
Jojanse Torres (3-0) earned the victory, allowing three hits while walking four and striking out three. Tanner Duncan pitched the last full inning for the Woodpeckers, recording a scoreless sixth. Overall, the Dash (10-13, 48-39) managed just four hits in the loss. Rain halted play for good during the top of the seventh, marking the second straight game that was cut short by rain.
Winston-Salem now hits the road for a three-game set against Down East starting on Saturday at Grainger Stadium. Right-hander Jorgan Cavanerio (5-0, 2.93 ERA) takes the hill for the Dash against Woodies righty Alex Eubanks (8-2, 2.17 ERA). First pitch is set for 6 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast and the TuneIn Radio App.
The Dash return to BB&T Ballpark for a six-game homestand against the Wilmington Blue Rocks and Down East Wood Ducks from July 17-22.
The homestand gets started with a Winston Wednesday and a Wing Wednesday, with $10 presale tickets, Warthogs jerseys and 50 cent wings. Following Wednesday's contest, there will be a Lowes Foods Thirsty Thursday and Pups in the Park Night presented by Handy & Handy Orthodontics. The series finale with Wilmington will be a Fireworks Friday and a Hometown Heroes USA Night with discounted tickets available for veterans and first responders. Kids Run the Bases, presented by New Balance Winston-Salem, will take place following Friday's game.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Keys and Mudcats Split Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Four Homers Power Wood Ducks To Series Sweep Of Lynchburg - Down East Wood Ducks
- Melendez Homer Leads to Doubleheader Sweep for Wilmington - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Payne's Two Homers Lead Birds to Victory over Potomac in Series Finale - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Quartet of Homers Leads Down East to Sweep of Lynchburg - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Woodpeckers Silence Dash in Rain-Shortened Contest - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Potomac Loses Early Advantage in 9-4 Defeat - Potomac Nationals
- Woodpeckers Outlast Dash in Rain-Shortened Series Finale - Winston-Salem Dash
- Karns Joins Keys on MLB Rehab - Frederick Keys
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 12 at Fayetteville) - Winston-Salem Dash
- P-Nats Pack Saturday 7/20 Doubleheader with Woodstock 50th Anniversary Theme Jersey, Juan Soto Bobblehead, Fred McGriff Autograph Signing, & Fireworks - Potomac Nationals
- July 12 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- July 12 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 12 vs. Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- OF Jose Gutierrez assigned to Myrtle Beach from Short Season Low A Eugene - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash Beat Woodpeckers in Thursday's Rain-Shortened Game - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.