Payne's Two Homers Lead Birds to Victory over Potomac in Series Finale
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - The Myrtle Beach Pelicans overcame their largest deficit off the season and beat the Potomac Nationals 9-4 and win the series on Friday night from TicketReturn.com Field at Pelicans Ballpark.
The Nationals (10-12, 40-49) wasted little time getting to Javier Assad (W, 3-6) in the series finale as they plated three runs in the top half of the first inning. After back-to-back singles put runners at first and third to open the inning, the Nationals executed a double steal and Gage Canningscored the game's first run from third and made it 1-0 Nationals.
Potomac added another run on a double from Jack Sundberg that scored Cole Freeman and Sundberg was then driven in by Gilbert Lara who doubled to left and gave the P'Nats a 3-0 lead after one half inning.
The Nationals tacked on a run in the fourth on an RBI single from Cole Freeman that extended the lead to 4-0.
In the bottom of the fourth inning, the Pelicans (12-11, 33-57) tied a season-high with a six-run inning to take the lead.
After the first two men in the inning reached, Tyler Payne unloaded the bases with a three-run homer to left off Malvin Pena (L, 5-5) that cut the gap to 4-3.
Aramis Ademan restarted the rally with a triple to right and he scored on an RBI single from Grant Fennell and the Pelicans knotted the game up at 4-4.
After a walk to Wladimir Galindo , Kevonte Mitchell gave the Pelicans a 5-4 lead when he doubled to left center.
Jimmy Herron brought in the final run of the frame when he plated Galindo on a sacrifice fly and the Birds led 6-4 after four.
The Pelicans tacked on a run in the sixth inning when Carlos Sepulveda brought in Mitchell on a sacrifice fly that made it 7-4 Myrtle Beach.
Payne took away all doubt in the seventh inning as he blasted his second homer of the night, a solo shot, that extended the Pelicans lead to 8-4.
In the eighth, Galindo doubled, advanced to third on a groundout and scored on a wild pitch that put the final tally on the Birds 9-4 win over Potomac.
The Pelicans continue their nine-game homestand on Saturday as they welcome in the Lynchburg Hillcats for the first of three games at 6:05 p.m. RHP Paul Richan (8-4, 4.06) will toe the hill for the Pelicans against LHP Hector Hernandez (1-2, 2.48) The contest will be locally televised on The CW21 and MiLB.tv, with coverage beginning at 6:00 p.m. A radio broadcast will begin at 5:50 on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast, TuneIn and the MiLB First Pitch app.
The first 1,000 fans will receive a David Bote McBoatface bobblehead. This giveaway is presented in association with Boaty McBoatface 2016, © 2018. Global rights holder Bambino Media Ltd, UK. All rights reserved.
Saturday will also be an Embrace Veterans Saturday presented by Embrace Hospice in addition to a Palmetto State Saturday. South Carolina fans receive $3 off of their game ticket by showing their local ID at the Anderson Brothers Bank Box Office, courtesy of Food Lion, Sparks Toyota, WMBF, The Sun News and NASH FM. The night will also include the Locals Dice Roll Extravaganza where, each Saturday, one local fan will have a chance to win up to $25,000 courtesy of HTC and Sparks Toyota and a Postgame Fireworks Extravaganza, presented by East Coast Pyrotechnics.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Keys and Mudcats Split Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Four Homers Power Wood Ducks To Series Sweep Of Lynchburg - Down East Wood Ducks
- Melendez Homer Leads to Doubleheader Sweep for Wilmington - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Payne's Two Homers Lead Birds to Victory over Potomac in Series Finale - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Quartet of Homers Leads Down East to Sweep of Lynchburg - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Woodpeckers Silence Dash in Rain-Shortened Contest - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Potomac Loses Early Advantage in 9-4 Defeat - Potomac Nationals
- Woodpeckers Outlast Dash in Rain-Shortened Series Finale - Winston-Salem Dash
- Karns Joins Keys on MLB Rehab - Frederick Keys
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 12 at Fayetteville) - Winston-Salem Dash
- P-Nats Pack Saturday 7/20 Doubleheader with Woodstock 50th Anniversary Theme Jersey, Juan Soto Bobblehead, Fred McGriff Autograph Signing, & Fireworks - Potomac Nationals
- July 12 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- July 12 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 12 vs. Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- OF Jose Gutierrez assigned to Myrtle Beach from Short Season Low A Eugene - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash Beat Woodpeckers in Thursday's Rain-Shortened Game - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Season Finale in Wilmington Cancelled
- Birds Take Game Three over Wilmington Behind Dominant Pitching
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: September 1 at Wilmington
- Pelicans Shutout by Blue Rocks on Saturday Night
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 31 at Wilmington