Dalbec Homers Twice in Loss at SWB
MOOSIC, P.A. - An eighth inning rally gave the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (77-62) a 7-5 win over the Worcester Red Sox (70-69) on Saturday night at PNC Field.
After an Enmanuel Valdez sac-fly put the WooSox up 5-4 in the top of eighth, SWB began its half of the inning with a single from Ronald Guzman. The next batter, Josh Breaux, delivered a game-tying RBI double off the wall in left-center against Geoff Hartlieb.
After a hit-by-pitch, strikeout and lineout, Michael Beltre blooped a double to left to make it 6-5 RailRiders. Hartlieb exited, making way for Brett Kennedy in his WooSox debut-the right-hander walked two straight, including one with the bases loaded, to make it 7-5. By inning's end, all nine SWB batters came to the plate, and six of the nine worked 3-2 counts.
The RailRiders held the WooSox scoreless in the top of the ninth, sealing a series victory for the home team.
Early on, Bobby Dalbec got the night start with a bang, smashing a no-doubt solo homer two batters in to the game. After the RailRiders tied it on a second-inning long ball by Guzman, Dalbec came to the plate in the third with a man on with two down.
He saw two pitches, then obliterated another ball to left, this time a go-ahead two-run homer to put the road team up 3-1. The swing gave Dalbec his first multi-homer game since July 27, a two-homer game with Boston.
SWB answered with three consecutive runs against WooSox starter Josh Winckowski. Rob Brantly came through with his second RBI of the series in the fourth, a single to drive in former PawSox Ryan LaMarre. One batter later, Armando Alvarez cut the Worcester lead to 4-3 with an RBI groundout.
Chris Owings tied the game at four in the fifth on a sac-fly to right, the final run allowed by Winckowski. The right-hander finished the night with the following line: 6 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 K.
Fifty-nine of Worcester's 139 games (42%) have been decided by two runs or fewer, and the team is 35-34 in those games.
The WooSox conclude the six-game series on the road Sunday at 1:05 p.m. against the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders, affiliate of the New York Yankees. On the mound, Bryan Mata (1-0, 3.46) faces Chi Chi Gonzalez (2-3, 4.54). Radio coverage is live at 12:45 p.m. on 98.9 Nash Icon and the WooSox Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 17, 2022
- Winnings Streak Snapped for Tides in Loss Saturday - Norfolk Tides
- Bats Walked-Off in St. Paul Saturday Night - Louisville Bats
- Let the Kids Play, Rucker Walks It off in First Triple-A Game as Saints Win 4-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Sounds Silence Jumbo Shrimp 3-0 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Sounds Return Favor with Shutout Win - Nashville Sounds
- Homers, Miscues Doom Herd in 8-3 Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians Fall Short of Ninth-Inning Comeback - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Beat the Tides 6-4 on Saturday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Hens Win Season-High Ninth Straight - Toledo Mud Hens
- Syracuse Celebrates Saturday Night in Style, Topping Buffalo, 8-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall Short, 4-3 IronPigs - Rochester Red Wings
- Winning Streak Snapped For Tides In Loss Saturday - Norfolk Tides
- RailRiders Defeat Red Sox 7-5 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Dalbec Homers Twice in Loss at SWB - Worcester Red Sox
- Stripers Falter Late in 5-3 Loss to Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Redbirds and Cubs Suspended in Fourth Inning at Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Losing Streak, No More Against Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- September 17 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs vs. Memphis Redbirds - Iowa Cubs
- Game Information: Toledo Mud Hens (78-60) vs. Indianapolis Indians (70-68) - Indianapolis Indians
- Davis Martin Recalled by Chicago White Sox - Charlotte Knights
- Omaha Drops Saturday Matinee in Columbus - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kernels Popping Up: Javier and Rucker Coming to St. Paul - St. Paul Saints
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 17 vs. Lehigh Valley - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse Mets Host Food Drive for Food Bank of CNY at NBT Bank Stadium - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Red Sox Stories
- Tickets for Opening Day & April & May to Go on Sale Sat. 12/10 with Winter Wonderland at Polar Park
- WooSox Thankful for Partnership with Assumption; Recall Football and Baseball Feats on the Field
- WooSox Wrap up Month of Giving with Veterans Day and Thanksgiving Activities and Events
- WooSox Re-Launch "New WooSox Rewards," a Free Fan Loyalty Program
- Second Annual "Trick-Or-Treat at Polar Park" October 30 Attracts More Than 3,000 Fans