D.C. United signs midfielder Ely Allen
Washington, D.C. (July 24, 2009) - D.C. United today signed midfielder Ely Allen of the USL Premier Development League. Allen joins United after spending two seasons in MLS and USL. As a roster replacement for Brandon Barklage, Allen is not available for selection in tomorrow's game at San Jose and will join the Black-and-Red at training next week.
"Ely is an intelligent player who will provide solid cover for us at the forward and midfield positions," said General Manager Dave Kasper. "Brandon was enjoying a great start to his career and we expect great things from him in the future. His injury was an unfortunate event, but we look forward to a full recovery and seeing Brandon ready for pre-season next year."
Allen initially joined MLS last season, selected by the Los Angeles Galaxy in the second round of the 2008 MLS SuperDraft. During the pre-season, in just his second professional appearance, Allen scored against Sydney FC in the Pan-Pacific Championships. Allen made his MLS debut in the Galaxy's first match of the 2008 campaign, against the Colorado Rapids, and two months later tallied his first career League goal against the same team. In all, the Kent, WA native appeared in 12 League matches (11 starts) and added one assist during his rookie season.
After being waived by the Galaxy in February 2009, Allen joined the Seattle Wolves of the USL Premier Development League in May. In his time there, Allen excelled, tallying six goals and six assists in 16 games.
In his senior campaign at the University of Washington, Allen was named a College Soccer News Second Team All-American and a NSCAA All-Far West Region third-team selection. Allen was also a First Team All-Pac-10 player, finishing the season as the Pac-10's leading scorer with 12 goals and 26 points. He started 21 games and tallied five game-winning goals.
The 5-foot, 11-inch midfielder also spent time with the Under-18 National Team in 2004.
Name: Ely AllenPronunciation: ee-lie AL-en Position: MidfielderHeight: 5-11 Weight: 165 Jersey: TBDDate of Birth: June 12, 1986Age: 23Place of Birth: Anchorage, AKHometown: Kent, WA Citizenship: U.S.Last Club: Seattle (PDL)Roster status: Senior rosterAcquired: Signed on July 24, 2009.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 24, 2009
- San Francisco Welcomes Messo, Henry, Xavi, Marquez and More For FC Barcelona Match August 8 - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United's Simms and Khumalo Undergo Successful Surgeries - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Take on D.C. United on Saturday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Kansas City Wizards Host Los Angeles Galaxy - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Play First Home Game Since June 20 this Weekend vs. New England - Houston Dynamo
- Time and TV coverage changed for August 6 Dynamo game against FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo
- FC Dallas Announces Time and Television Broadcast Change for August 6 Match - FC Dallas
- Limited Tickets Remain for FC Barcelona at Qwest Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- Major League Soccer Commissioner Fines LA Galaxy Midfielder David Beckham - MLS
- Chicago Fire Teams Up With The ISSA And IYSA For The 2009 Chicago Beach Soccer Tournament July 25-26 - Chicago Fire
- Whitecaps Saturday Match Sold Out - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sounders FC vs. Chicago Fire - Saturday, July 25, 2009 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Wizards Remove Striker Adam Cristman From Disabled List - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United signs midfielder Ely Allen - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Announces Real Madrid Open Practice - Toronto FC
- Rapids Sign Argentine Forward Facundo Diz - Colorado Rapids
- Volkswagen gives young soccer players a shot at the international stage - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- MLS and D.C. United Announce Available Players for Selection in 2018 MLS Expansion Draft
- D.C. United Announce Contract Options
- D.C. United Announce That They Will Join eMLS in 2019
- D.C. United Duo Wayne Rooney and Luciano Acosta Make 2018 MLS Best XI
- D.C. United Defender Taylor Kemp Retires from Professional Soccer