Cyclones Game Notes: vs Indy
Overview: The Cyclones will do battle with the Indy Fuel on Thursday night, in the midst of a busy week, with four games in a span of five nights. Cincinnati currently occupies the sixth spot in the ECHL's Western Conference playoff picture, but the standings are tight. The Cyclones trail the Utah Grizzlies in fifth by just one point, and cling to a one-point cushion on the seventh-place Colorado Eagles. The Midwest division title is not yet determined, but the Cyclones trail Ft. Wayne by seven points, with just five games remaining.
Tuesday Night Recap: The Cincinnati Cyclones (34-24-5-4) lost a tough back-and-forth affair to the Fort Wayne Komets on Tuesday night by a final tally of 5-3. Forwards Christiaan Minella, Jack Downing, and Nick Huard had the goals for the Cyclones, who now sit 7 points back of first-place in the division with just 5 games remaining in the regular season. The Cyclones had a wide advantage in shots-on-goal, 26-15, with goaltender Andy Iles only able to stop 10 of the 14 shots he faced in the loss.
Saturday Night Recap: The Cincinnati Cyclones (34-23-5-4) picked up a 4-1 win over the Toledo Walleye on Saturday night. Defenseman Andrew Blazek, and forwards Tommy Mele, Colin Mulvey, and Christiaan Minella scored the goals for the Cyclones, who snap their three-game losing streak. The Cyclones were outshot, 33-22 on the night, with goaltender Andy Iles stopping 32 to collect the win.
Friday Night Recap: The Cincinnati Cyclones (33-23-5-4) fell to the Indy Fuel, 5-1, on Friday night. Forward Peter Quenneville tallied the lone goal for the Cyclones. Cincinnati outshot the Fuel, 48-27 on the night, with goaltenders Andy Iles and Brandon Whitney combining to stop 22 in the loss.
Previewing Indy: The Fuel currently sit outside the playoff picture, as they trail by seven points for the final berth in the ECHL's Western Conference. Indy comes in to US Bank Arena winners of its last three games, which includes the two-game sweep of the Cyclones last week. The Fuel have only won four of their last ten games, however, as they head into the final weeks of the regular season. Forward Alex Lavoie leads the team in goals and assists, with 16 and 35, respectively, through 66 games played this season. He is followed by a pair of rookies in the top three, as forward Peter Schneider (15g, 21a) and defenseman Ben Marshall (11g, 23a) help lead the charge.
Inside the Series: Thursday night's duel with the Fuel marks the eleventh and final matchup between the two teams this season. Indy was the victor in both meetings last Thursday and Friday in Indianapolis, and hold a 7-3-0-0 advantage after the first ten games of the series.
Next Game Preview: The Cyclones continue their busy week with their third game in four days, as they head to Evansville on Friday night. Cincinnati holds the edge in the season series, with a 5-2-0-1 record against the IceMen.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 31, 2016
- Brassart Rejoins Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Offensive Onslaught Blows by Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Justin Crandall Returned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Overtime Buzzer Beater Puts Wings over Swamp Rabbits - Kalamazoo Wings
- Appleby Reassigned to Albany - Adirondack Thunder
- Olkinuora Returns to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- ECHL Transactions - March 31 - ECHL
- Harpur Becomes Third Former IceMen Player to Reach NHL - Evansville IceMen
- Dodero Recalled by AHL's Syracuse Crunch - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Wheeling Nailers Community Recap - March - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals Add Forward Steven McParland - Elmira Jackals
- Ryan McGrath joins Monarchs; Steven Hodges back to Portland - Manchester Monarchs
- Preview: Swamp Rabbits Face K-Wings in a Hat-Trick Weekend of Hockey - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavericks Announce First Two Playoff Games - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Announce 50/50 Start Points for Weekend - Rapid City Rush
- Rush Announce Jersey Drawings - Rapid City Rush
- Palazzese Returns to Nailers, Foster Recalled to AHL - Wheeling Nailers
- Defenseman Derik Johnson Loaned to Springfield - Reading Royals
- ECHL Today - March 31 - ECHL
- Steelheads Playoff-Bound, Top Utah, Clinch Playoff Berth - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks Sweep Season Series against Mallards - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.