Harpur Becomes Third Former IceMen Player to Reach NHL
EVANSVILLE, IN - The Ottawa Senators, NHL affiliate of the Evansville IceMen, announced Thursday that the club recalled defenseman Ben Harpur from the AHL's Binghamton Senators. The 21-year-old from Hamilton, Ontario becomes the third former IceMen player in franchise history to reach the NHL.
Binghamton loaned Harpur to Evansville for four games in late January and recorded two assists with a plus-2 rating. The rookie defenseman has spent the majority of the 2015-16 campaign in the AHL with the B-Sens, where he scored one goal and added 4 assists in 43 games. Ottawa drafted Harpur in the 4th Round (108th overall) in the 2013 NHL Draft.
Before turning pro, he spent four seasons of juniors in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), where he totaled 55 points (11 goals, 44 assists) in 196 games with the Guelph Storm, and 11 points (1 goal, 10 assists) in 29 games with the Barrie Colts.
Harpur becomes the third former IceMen player to reach the NHL, following goaltender Chris Driedger and defenseman Brent Regner. Driedger appeared in 40 games for the IceMen in 2014-15 and was called up to Ottawa directly from Evansville in February and again in March of last season. The 21-year-old goalie has been in Binghamton most of this season, but has earned three stints with Ottawa and has appeared in two NHL games in his young career.
Regner played in two games with the IceMen during the 2012-13 season, but has spent most of his pro career in the AHL. The 26-year-old defenseman made his NHL debut in February with the Florida Panthers, where he played in seven games.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 31, 2016
- Brassart Rejoins Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Offensive Onslaught Blows by Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Justin Crandall Returned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Overtime Buzzer Beater Puts Wings over Swamp Rabbits - Kalamazoo Wings
- Appleby Reassigned to Albany - Adirondack Thunder
- Olkinuora Returns to Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- ECHL Transactions - March 31 - ECHL
- Harpur Becomes Third Former IceMen Player to Reach NHL - Evansville IceMen
- Dodero Recalled by AHL's Syracuse Crunch - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Wheeling Nailers Community Recap - March - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals Add Forward Steven McParland - Elmira Jackals
- Ryan McGrath joins Monarchs; Steven Hodges back to Portland - Manchester Monarchs
- Preview: Swamp Rabbits Face K-Wings in a Hat-Trick Weekend of Hockey - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavericks Announce First Two Playoff Games - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Announce 50/50 Start Points for Weekend - Rapid City Rush
- Rush Announce Jersey Drawings - Rapid City Rush
- Palazzese Returns to Nailers, Foster Recalled to AHL - Wheeling Nailers
- Defenseman Derik Johnson Loaned to Springfield - Reading Royals
- ECHL Today - March 31 - ECHL
- Steelheads Playoff-Bound, Top Utah, Clinch Playoff Berth - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks Sweep Season Series against Mallards - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.