Cubs Drop Finale in Cedar Rapids, 9-2
It was another long game for the South Bend Cubs (18-23).
They trailed the Cedar Rapids Kernels (22-20) the whole way Sunday afternoon at Perfect Game Field and in the end a 9-2 loss means South Bend has now lost five games in a row.
With two outs and a runner in scoring position Trey Cabbage opened up the scoring for Cedar Rapids with a two-run homer in the first inning.
South Bend answered right back with a two-out RBI base hit of their own. With two men on Delvin Zinn laced a double down the line in left to score Caleb Knight and make it just a 2-1 game.
The Kernels kept their foot on the gas.
Cedar Rapids added two more runs an another two-out, two-RBI base hit, this one a single off the bat of the leadoff hitter Spencer Steer. South Bend would get one run back as Knight scored for the second time in the game, this time on a balk.
But the trend of South Bend's offense struggling in the later innings and Cedar Rapid's bats really coming to life late continued. The Kernels scored five runs combined between the fifth and sixth inning, including their second two-run shot of the game, this time an opposite field long ball off the bat of Seth Gray.
The South Bend bullpen did retire nine of the last 10 batters they faced, however it was too late and the Cubs wound up dropping the final five games of this series after winning the first one on Tuesday.
Next up: Matteo Bocchi takes the hill for the Cubs in the first game of their next series Tuesday vs. Matt Waldron of Fort Wayne. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 pm ET at Four Winds Field in Downtown South Bend.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from June 20, 2021
- Chiefs Salvage Series Finale against Beloit - Peoria Chiefs
- 'Caps-Ized in Lake County - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Drop Finale in Cedar Rapids, 9-2 - South Bend Cubs
- Dinkelman Earns 100th Win for Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Offensive Barrage Helps TinCaps Take Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Johnston Continues Home Run Tear As Snappers Fall 6-3 To Chiefs - Beloit Snappers
- Siani Homers Twice But Dragons Lose to Fort Wayne, 11-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Hand Lugnuts Sixth Series Split - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Wash Lansing Series with Sunday Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Hickman Deals in Captains Shut Out - Lake County Captains
- Series Finale with Timber Rattlers Postponed - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Rattlers and River Bandits Rained Out on Sunday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Information: June 20 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- McIntyre Promoted, Pineda Added, Two Placed on IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons GameDa Notes - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Lose Delayed Affair, 9-2 - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Snap Losing Streak - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.