Crunch Top Rocket, 4-2
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch opened scoring with back-to-back goals and maintained control in a 4-2 victory over the Laval Rocket tonight at the War Memorial Arena.
The Crunch are now on a nine-game home points streak and sit at 31-16-2-2 on the season. The team has a 3-1 lead in the six-game series against the Rocket.
Eddie Pasquale earned the win with 25 saves in net for Syracuse, while Charlie Lindgren turned aside 17-of-21 between the pipes for Laval. The Crunch converted on 1-of-2 power play opportunities and went 3-for-4 on the penalty kill.
The Crunch were first on the board with two goals in 1:10. Gabriel Dumont opened scoring at the 15:34 mark of the opening frame when he redirected Carter Verhaeghe's centering feed from the crease. Alex Barre-Boulet collected a point on the opening tally. A minute later, Andy Andreoff won the draw in the left circle and sent it back for Cameron Gaunce. His feed to the right circle set up Cory Conacher for a one-timer into a yawning net.
Laval stole one back just 22 seconds later when Maxim Lamarche capitalized on a giveaway and backhanded a shot from the slot.
Syracuse regained their two-goal lead halfway through the middle stanza. Mitchell Stephens threw a lead pass for Alex Volkov to score on the breakaway with a backhander. Cameron Gaunce tallied the secondary assist.
The Rocket pulled back within one with a power-play goal at the 12:32 mark of the second period. Jake Evans went intentionally wide from the right circle for Dale Weise to redirect in. Alex Belzile earned a point on the tally.
With 5:47 remaining in the game, the Crunch added an insurance marker on the power play. Verhaeghe sauced a pass across the slot for Barre-Boulet to send home from the right circle. Andreoff made it a multi-point night with the secondary assist.
The Crunch are back in action when they host the Toronto Marlies on Friday at 7 p.m.
Single game tickets and packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Cory Conacher is in sole possession of ninth in franchise scoring with 153 points (54g, 99a)...Alex Barre-Boulet leads the league with 13 power-play goals.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2019
- Redmond's Return Powers Amerks to 4-2 Win over Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Rockford Rallies for Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Top Rocket, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Upended by Amerks, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Eaves to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Bischoff Rejoins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Colorado Eagles Announce Eighth Annual "Pot of Gold" Recipient - Colorado Eagles
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Mathieu Joseph from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Jeff Taylor Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dallas Stars Sign Defenseman Joel Hanley to Two-Year Contract Extension - Texas Stars
- Goaltender Chris Nell and Forward Zac Lynch Join Hartford Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks to Deliver Coffee and Donuts to Local Firehouses and Police Stations Thursday Afternoon - Rochester Americans
- Game #48 Preview: Tucson at San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Moose Unable to Catch Marlies - Manitoba Moose
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Head to Ontario for Wednesday Showdown - Stockton Heat
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Sign Roy, Carlson to PTOs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Sign Nick Saracino to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Florida Panthers Reassign F Patrick Bajkov to Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Host Moose for School Day Game - Toronto Marlies
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 20 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Iowa Loses 2-1 in Overtime to Texas - Iowa Wild
- Stars Begin Road Trip with 2-1 Overtime Win - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Present Donation to Upstate University Hospital
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forward Nikita Pavlychev to AHL Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Free Agent Defenseman Sean Day
- Alex Barre-Boulet Named to 2019-20 AHL Second All-Star Team
- Syracuse Crunch Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season