Game #48 Preview: Tucson at San Diego
Game #48 - Tucson (25-16-4-2) at San Diego (27-16-3-3)
8:00 PM MST, Pechanga Arena San Diego, San Diego, California
Referees: #66 Kenny Anderson, #39 Brandon Blandina
Linesmen: #88 Brent Tubbs, #20 Anthony Falette
The Roadrunners will put the finishing touches on their season-long six-game road trip tonight in matching up with the San Diego Gulls at Pechanga Arena San Diego, seeing their I-8 border Pacific Division rival for the first time since December 5.
Though it's been a while, there's plenty of good to look back at; the Roadrunners are perfect against the Gulls this season, touting a 5-0-0-0 record, and have won each of the previous eight meetings between the clubs dating back to April 11 of last season.
Name change! But all remains the same. Tonight marks the Roadrunners' first visit to the Gulls' home since the building's naming rights were changed. Formerly the Valley View Casino Center and now Pechanga Arena San Diego, the tweak in title doesn't change the fact that the Roadrunners have earned points in seven of their last eight visits (6-1-0-1) to America's Finest City, dating back to November 18, 2017.
A prime opportunity to gain ground in the points category presents itself tonight. There will be no movement, up or down, for the Roadrunners, regardless of this evening's outcome.
The only other Pacific Division match-up on tonight's docket takes place in the Inland Empire between the grouping's sixth and seventh-place clubs; the Ontario Reign host the Stockton Heat at 8:00 PM MST at Citizens Business Bank Arena.
Likely the most exciting storyline of the evening is to be Christian Dvorak's presumed season debut; tonight marks the first game he is eligible to play in during his AHL conditioning assignment. He will become the 25th player in the organization to wear both a Coyotes and Roadrunners jersey.
THREE THINGS BUNTING'S BOOST: In five games played against the Gulls this season, Michael Bunting has totaled nine points (1G, 8A), including three multi-point performances. The 23-year-old forward, who has five NHL games under his belt this season, registered the primary assist on David Ullstrom's game-winning goal in the Roadrunners' 4-1 win over the Texas Stars on Saturday night. Bunting's lone goal against the Gulls this season came on October 12, a 3-2 Roadrunners win.
FOUR-POINT AFFAIR: The 'four-point game' term will be used more and more as we delve deeper into the season's late stages. The fourth-place Roadrunners, playing the third-place Gulls tonight, will fall six points behind their counterpart with a regulation loss tonight, but climb to within two with a regulation win.
NUMBER TO KNOW ELEVEN: That's the number forward Christian Dvorak will don tonight and throughout the duration of his conditioning assignment with the Roadrunners.
WE'RE DOING IT LIVE You can catch tonight's action at Brother John's Beer Bourbon & BBQ, the official watch party location for all Roadrunners road games during the 2018-19 season. A live telecast is available on AHLTV; Roadrunners play-by-play broadcaster Adrian Denny will have the radio call on AM 1450 Fox Sports Tucson, with coverage starting at 7:45 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2019
- Redmond's Return Powers Amerks to 4-2 Win over Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Rockford Rallies for Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Top Rocket, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Upended by Amerks, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Eaves to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Bischoff Rejoins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Colorado Eagles Announce Eighth Annual "Pot of Gold" Recipient - Colorado Eagles
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Mathieu Joseph from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Jeff Taylor Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dallas Stars Sign Defenseman Joel Hanley to Two-Year Contract Extension - Texas Stars
- Goaltender Chris Nell and Forward Zac Lynch Join Hartford Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks to Deliver Coffee and Donuts to Local Firehouses and Police Stations Thursday Afternoon - Rochester Americans
- Game #48 Preview: Tucson at San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Moose Unable to Catch Marlies - Manitoba Moose
- Coyotes Assign Bunting to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Head to Ontario for Wednesday Showdown - Stockton Heat
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Sign Roy, Carlson to PTOs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Sign Nick Saracino to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Florida Panthers Reassign F Patrick Bajkov to Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Host Moose for School Day Game - Toronto Marlies
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 20 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Iowa Loses 2-1 in Overtime to Texas - Iowa Wild
- Stars Begin Road Trip with 2-1 Overtime Win - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tucson Roadrunners Stories
- Dusty's Drive-In Makes Stop at TCC Wednesday Evening
- Roadrunners, Pima County Schools Team for Reading Program
- Roadrunners Launch Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration
- Coyotes Sign Adin Hill to One-Year Contract
- Roadrunners to Distribute Street Hockey Equipment Friday