Crunch Downed by Comets, 5-2
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch were downed by the Utica Comets, 5-2, tonight at the Adirondack Bank Center.
Despite the loss, the night featured a series of firsts for the Crunch including Jimmy Huntington's first AHL goal, Dmitry Semykin's first pro goal and Declan McDonnell and Cole Schwindt's pro debuts.
Syracuse now sits at 1-2-1-0 on the season and 1-1-0-0 in the 14-game season series with Utica.
Goaltender Sam Montembeault turned aside 15-of-20 shots in his fourth consecutive start for the Crunch. Jon Gillies stopped 17-of-19 in net for the Comets. Both teams went 1-for-4 on the power play.
The Comets were first on the board with a goal at the 14:50 mark of the first period. Jonah Gadjovich was in front of the net to redirect a centering feed from Will Lockwood.
Utica continued to build a lead with two more in the middle frame. Steven Santini sent home a long range shot halfway through the period followed by a power-play marker from Nathan Walker four minutes later.
Dakota Joshua made it 4-0 for the Comets four minutes into the third period when he rushed down the right side, cut across the slot and stuffed the puck behind Montembeault.
Syracuse finally responded with a power-play goal 7:40 into the final frame. Huntington stole the puck in the right circle and went top shelf for his first AHL goal. Declan McDonnell recorded his first pro point with the assist. Less than two minutes later, Semykin tallied his first pro goal with a wrister from the right circle.
The Crunch were unable to mount a comeback and the Comets hit the empty net in the final minute to take a 5-2 win.
The Crunch return home to host the Rochester Americans Saturday at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 17, 2021
- Crunch Downed by Comets, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Defeat Crunch in Successful Home Opener - Utica Comets
- Riat's First AHL Goal Gives Bears 2-1 Win in Newark - Hershey Bears
- Gilles Senn Stops 41 in Devils' 2-1 Loss to Bears - Binghamton Devils
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Andy Welinski to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Marlies Go Back-To-Back in Winnipeg - Toronto Marlies
- Weather Affecting San Jose Travel Reschedules Thursday Game to Friday at 5pm - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bolduc Leads Sound Tigers to First Win of Season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- AHL Reschedules Thursday's Game in Tucson Due to Weather - San Jose Barracuda
- Thursday's San Jose-Tucson AHL Game Rescheduled Due to Weather - AHL
- Griffins to Finish Road Trip Before Hosting Cleveland on Saturday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Laval Rocket Reach Agreement to Release Forward Sam Vigneault - Laval Rocket
- Game Preview: Condors Take on San Diego Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Wild Defenseman Daemon Hunt Returns to WHL - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers and Wolf Pack Reignite Rivalry at 1 p.m. Today - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Dropped by Marlies, 6-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Crunch Roll Past Comets, 5-1
- Syracuse Crunch Reassign Nikita Pavlychev to Orlando Solar Bears
- Crunch Edge Amerks, 4-3, in Overtime
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Daniel Walcott from Syracuse Crunch to Taxi Squad
- Florida Panthers Reassign Defenseman Vladislav Kolyachonok to Syracuse Crunch