Corpus Christi Pitchers Turns in Dominant Performances as Hooks Fall in Extras
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, AR - The Hooks received another brilliant performance from the pitching staff but came up just short against the Travelers in 10 innings, 2-1.
J.B. Bukauskas completed six innings for the second consecutive start and set a new career-high with ten strikeouts on the night. His last was his biggest, leaving the bases loaded in the sixth in a 1-1 game.
The Hooks' only run came on heads-up baserunning from Ronnie Dawson in the sixth. He scored with two outs on a wild pitch that didn't reach the warning track behind home. The game would remain tied as the bullpens took over in the seventh.
Brandon Bailey's tandem appearance was pushed back thanks to J.B.'s performance, but the wait was certainly worth it. The righty retired six of 10 batters faced with a strikeout. He was lifted after 2.2 innings for Tommy DeJuneas with the winning run on second in the ninth. DeJuneas would strike out Aaron Knapp for the 17th K of the evening and to send the game to extras.
Corpus Christi could not manage a hit with runners in scoring position on the night (0-for-9) and went down in order in the tenth. Two pitches into the bottom half, Jordan Cowan walked it off for the Travs with a single to left-center to win the game 2-1.
Grouped with a win by Midland and a loss by Frisco, the Hooks find themselves in third but only one game back of first with four games to go in the first half. The finale of the series with the Travelers comes at 7:10 PM on Thursday night as the Hooks try to snap their three-game losing streak.
Right-hander Yohan Ramirez will take the hill for Corpus Christi, opposite righty Justin Dunn for Arkansas. Pregame coverage on NewsRadio 1360 KKTX begins at 6:50 PM and is also available on the TuneIn app.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Riders Strike Early But Fall 6-1 in Finale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Long Ball Aids Naturals in Series Win over Amarillo - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Drillers Complete Sweep of Frisco - Tulsa Drillers
- Conservation Weekend, Giveaways Highlight Upcoming Homestand - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Tulsa to Host Frisco and Amarillo in Seven-Game Homestand - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals to Become Growlin' Chickens on August 9-10 at Arvest Ballpark - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Cowan's Walk-Off in 10 Gives Travs 7 in a Row - Arkansas Travelers
- Corpus Christi Pitchers Turns in Dominant Performances as Hooks Fall in Extras - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Sod Poodles Move Within a Half Game of First Place with 4-1 Victory over Naturals - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi Hooks Stories
- Astros World Series Gear Now Available at Whataburger Field
- Details for Little Joe's Birthday Bash: Tex Mex Fest this Saturday
- Public Invited to Halloween with the Hooks on October 24
- Top 10 Hooks Moments of 2019
- Brady Ballard Named Assistant General Manager of Corpus Christi Hooks