Drillers Complete Sweep of Frisco
FRISCO, TX - The Tulsa Drillers perfect road trip continued Thursday night in Frisco with a 6-1 win over the RoughRiders at Dr Pepper Ballpark. The victory completed a three-game sweep of the Riders and kept the Drillers unbeaten after three games of their seven-game road trip.
The battery of Ben Holmes and Keibert Ruiz played a key role in Thursday's win. Catcher Ruiz turned a one-run deficit into a one-run lead with a two-run homer in the top of the second. On the mound, Holmes was outstanding, limiting Frisco to just one run while surrendering five hits and striking out six in five innings of work.
The only damage against Holmes came from a first-inning run from the Riders, but Diaz erased that with his third homer of the year.
Tulsa upped the lead to 5-1 with three more runs in the third. After Gavin Lux and Zach McKinstry drew walks to open the inning, Chris Parmelee doubled them both home. With two outs, a base hit by Cristian Santana plated Parmelee.
Jared Walker singled in the fourth inning and eventually scored on a sacrifice fly from McKinstry for the Drillers sixth run.
WHAT YOU MISSED
*Santana finished with three hits and two runs batted in.
*The Drillers bullpen combined for four scoreless innings. Andre Scrubb did not allow a hit in two scoreless frames, while Chris Nunn blanked the Riders in the eighth and ninth innings.
*Tulsa pitchers allowed just 2 runs and 18 hits in the three-game sweep.
*The loss was the seventh straight for the RoughRiders. The losing streak has dropped Frisco out of first place in the South Division standings of the Texas League.
*The Drillers road trip will now take them to Amarillo for their first-ever meeting with the new Sod Poodles. It is the first season back in the Texas League for the city of Amarillo, replacing the San Antonio franchise. Amarillo has a long history in the TL but last had a team in the league for the 1982 season. The Drillers will play four games against the Sod Poodles.
UP NEXT: Tulsa at Amarillo, Friday, June 14, at 7:05 PM at Hodgetown in Amarillo, TX. RHP Justin De Fratus (2-2, 5.86 ERA) versus RHP Kyle Lloyd (2-2, 3.82 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Riders Strike Early But Fall 6-1 in Finale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Long Ball Aids Naturals in Series Win over Amarillo - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Drillers Complete Sweep of Frisco - Tulsa Drillers
- Conservation Weekend, Giveaways Highlight Upcoming Homestand - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Tulsa to Host Frisco and Amarillo in Seven-Game Homestand - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals to Become Growlin' Chickens on August 9-10 at Arvest Ballpark - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Cowan's Walk-Off in 10 Gives Travs 7 in a Row - Arkansas Travelers
- Corpus Christi Pitchers Turns in Dominant Performances as Hooks Fall in Extras - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Sod Poodles Move Within a Half Game of First Place with 4-1 Victory over Naturals - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.