COO & Sporting Director Paul McDonough Provides Team Updates
Today, Major League Soccer announced it will extend the postponement of its matches in accordance with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's guidance to postpone events involving more than 50 people over the next eight weeks. In response to the announcement, Inter Miami CF COO & Sporting Director Paul McDonough provided updates on the team, with the league expecting to resume play on May 10.
McDonough touched on the measures taken by the Club to ensure the health and wellbeing of its players and staff.
"We don't have any staff in the office and we don't have the players at the training facility," said McDonough. "The only ones that are coming in are guys that need treatment. They're very small groups and we're cleaning and sanitizing between groups."
Inter Miami players will also stay in South Florida throughout the week rather than traveling back to their hometowns. The same guidelines apply for Fort Lauderdale CF in the USL League One and Academy players.
"We're checking in with the players constantly, making sure everyone is doing ok, that their families are ok, and we're checking if anyone needs anything. We're trying to ride this thing through."
In response to the fans who are waiting for Inter Miami's first-ever home game, McDonough added, "We're anxious to get going too, and we appreciate them for their support. We want everyone to stay safe and we look forward to getting back to playing soon."
"The truth is you don't plan for this. We have to get more information as it becomes readily available. It's not prudent on our part to try to rush this process. We need to make sure we do things the right way and when it's time to get back and we have the green light we'll get back to work."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 19, 2020
- COO & Sporting Director Paul McDonough Provides Team Updates - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC Invites Fans to Relive Top Matches in Club History with Special Broadcasts Each Saturday Evening - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York Red Bulls Statement on NYCFC Confirmed Case of COVID-19 - New York Red Bulls
- New York City FC Sporting Department Confirms First Case of COVID-19 - New York City FC
- Inter Miami CF Ticket FAQs - Inter Miami CF
- Whitecaps FC Statement on Extending the Suspension of MLS Matches - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sounders FC Statement on Major League Soccer Announcement - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Announces Further Postponement - New York City FC
- Club Statement: MLS Extends Postponement - D.C. United
- New York Red Bulls Club Statement: March 19, 2020 - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Statement - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF, MLS Statement on CDC Recommendation - Inter Miami CF
- MLS Season Postponed for Eight Weeks - Club de Foot Montreal
- Major League Soccer Extends Season Postponement - MLS
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF Signs Brazilian Midfielder Gregore
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Ryan Shawcross
- "La Palma" Revealed as 2021 Secondary Jersey Name
- Inter Miami CF to Unveil New Secondary Jersey on February 27
- Inter Miami CF Signs First Round SuperDraft Pick Josh Penn to First Team Contract