Comets Announce Roster Moves
Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations Pat Conacher announced today that the club has signed forward Tyler Currier to a professional tryout contract (PTO). In addition, Conacher announced that the club has released defenseman William Wrenn from his PTO.
Currier, 27, collected two points (1-1-2), and two penalty minutes in his only career American Hockey League appearance on Apr. 3 with the Springfield Falcons. The Anchorage, AK native enjoyed a career year and recorded 35 points (21-14-35) in 66 games for the Elmira Jackals of the ECHL. He finished the season as the Jackals leading goal-scorer (21), and fourth on the team in points (35).
Prior to turning pro, Currier skated for his hometown school at the University of Alaska-Anchorage. He appeared in 103 NCAA games for the Seawolves and registered 15 points (7-8-15) and 116 penalty minutes. Currier was voted the Leon Thompson Fan Favorite by his hometown UAA fans.
Wrenn, 25, played in two games for the Comets and did not record a point. In his career, he has collected 17 points (5-12-17) in 95 AHL games played with the Worcester Sharks, Texas Stars and the Comets. The Anchorage, AK native played in 40 games, posted seven points (2-5-7) and won a Calder Cup championship with the 2013-14 Texas Stars. This season, Wrenn was named the captain of his hometown Alaska Aces and ranks third on the team in points (41), and second in assists (37).
The 6'1", 210-lb. defenseman was selected in the second round (43rd overall) by the San Jose Sharks in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. He played two seasons with the U.S. National Team Development Program, representing Team USA at the 2008 U17 World Hockey Challenge and 2009 IIHF U18 World Championships.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 14, 2016
- Admirals Set First Two Home Playoff Games - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Clinch Home Ice with Thrilling Win over Checkers - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers' Comeback Bid Falls Short in Lake Erie - Charlotte Checkers
- Blackhawks Extend Ted Dent's Contract - Rockford IceHogs
- Alex Belzile Reassigned to Fort Wayne - San Antonio Rampage
- Texas Stars Announce Opening Round Schedule for Calder Cup Playoffs - Texas Stars
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Announce Food Exchange Night this Saturday - Springfield Falcons
- Mikko Rantanen and Frank Vatrano Share AHL Outstanding Rookie Award - San Antonio Rampage
- San Antonio's Rantanen, Providence's Vatrano Share Award as AHL's Outstanding Rookie - AHL
- IceCaps to Celebrate Sport NL Hall-Of-Fame - St. John's IceCaps
- Iowa Signs Adam Gilmour to ATO - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Playoff Tickets on Sale Saturday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Goaltender Jack Flinn Joins Reign - Ontario Reign
- Rangers Recall Magnus Hellberg from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Announce Roster Moves - Utica Comets
- Motte's Late Strike Lifts IceHogs to 2-1 Win in Iowa - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Outshine Stars in Overtime 6-5 - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.