Monsters Clinch Home Ice with Thrilling Win over Checkers
CLEVELAND - In the seventh of eight meetings between the two teams this season, Cleveland's Lake Erie Monsters defeated the Charlotte Checkers at Quicken Loans Arena on Thursday by a final score of 3-1. With the win, the Monsters improved to 42-22-6-5 overall this season and with a .633 points percentage, clinched second place in the AHL's Central Division standings and home-ice advantage in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs.
After a scoreless opening frame, Lake Erie's Oliver Bjorkstrand buried an even-strength goal at 2:04 of the middle stanza on feeds from T.J. Tynan and Kerby Rychel before Lukas Sedlak extended the AHL's longest active goal streak to seven games with a five-on-five marker at 10:17, thanks to assists from Justin Falk and Josh Anderson.
In the third, Charlotte cut the Monsters' lead in half with a Justin Shugg power-play goal just 55 seconds into the period, but after three key penalty kills were successfully neutralized by Lake Erie, Monsters left wing Kerby Rychel buried an empty-net power-play goal with just 1.5 seconds remaining in the game to seal a 3-1 Lake Erie win.
A 32-save performance from Monsters goaltender Anton Forsberg pushed his record to 23-10-5 in net for Lake Erie this season while John Muse took the loss between the pipes for Charlotte despite stopping 30 of the 32 pucks he faced on Thursday.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Friday rematch vs. the Checkers with full coverage, live from The Q, underway at 7:00 pm on ESPN 850 WKNR and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Tickets for every Monsters home game start at just $10 and are on sale now! Full and partial season ticket memberships are also available and provide you with the best seat locations, custom member benefits and the lowest ticket prices. Group outing and birthday bash packages for 10 or more people are also on sale now. All tickets can be purchased by visiting LakeErieMonsters.com, calling (216) 420-0000, visiting The Q Box Office or any Northern Ohio Discount Drug Mart. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lakeeriemonsters, and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/monstershockey.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 14, 2016
- Admirals Set First Two Home Playoff Games - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Clinch Home Ice with Thrilling Win over Checkers - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers' Comeback Bid Falls Short in Lake Erie - Charlotte Checkers
- Blackhawks Extend Ted Dent's Contract - Rockford IceHogs
- Alex Belzile Reassigned to Fort Wayne - San Antonio Rampage
- Texas Stars Announce Opening Round Schedule for Calder Cup Playoffs - Texas Stars
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Announce Food Exchange Night this Saturday - Springfield Falcons
- Mikko Rantanen and Frank Vatrano Share AHL Outstanding Rookie Award - San Antonio Rampage
- San Antonio's Rantanen, Providence's Vatrano Share Award as AHL's Outstanding Rookie - AHL
- IceCaps to Celebrate Sport NL Hall-Of-Fame - St. John's IceCaps
- Iowa Signs Adam Gilmour to ATO - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Playoff Tickets on Sale Saturday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Goaltender Jack Flinn Joins Reign - Ontario Reign
- Rangers Recall Magnus Hellberg from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Announce Roster Moves - Utica Comets
- Motte's Late Strike Lifts IceHogs to 2-1 Win in Iowa - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Outshine Stars in Overtime 6-5 - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.