Columbus Crew SC Transfers Midfielder Mohammed Abu to Norwegian First Division Side Valerenga Fotball
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced it has agreed to a permanent transfer of midfielder Mohammed Abu to Valerenga Fotball of Norway's First Division. Abu had previously been on a season-long loan with the Norwegian side since August 10. Abu made 24 regular-season appearances (14 starts) for the Black & Gold while providing one assist. He also made three appearances (two starts) in the 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs, helping the Black & Gold reach the Eastern Conference Championship.
Abu, 26, was signed by Crew SC on January 24, 2017. While on loan with Valerenga Fotball since August, Abu made six regular-season appearances (all starts) and recorded one assist. Abu also started as a central midfielder in a Norwegian Cup quarterfinals match against Rosenborg on September 26.
"Mohammed has continued to grow as a player during his time on loan and this permanent transfer to Valerenga Fotball is a move that both allows for a continued opportunity to get him the minutes to further his development and provides us additional funds and roster flexibility," said Sporting Director and Head Coach Gregg Berhalter. "We want to thank Mohammed for his contributions to Crew SC in his time with the club and wish him the best in the next stage of his career in Norway."
Prior to joining Crew SC, Abu had stints with Stromsgodset IF of Norway's Eliteserien, FC Lorient of France's Ligue 1 and Rayo Vallecano of Spain's La Liga.
Up next, Crew SC travels to face the Montreal Impact at Stade Saputo on Saturday, October 6 (3:00 p.m. ET / CW Columbus, Spectrum Sports, BCSN2, CD102.5 FM, English and Spanish audio broadcasts available on ColumbusCrewSC.com).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 4, 2018
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 4, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- MNUFC Match Preview | News and Notes Ahead of Philadelphia Union - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- Three More FC Dallas Players Called to National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Adaptation and Progression Continues with New Coaching Regime - Orlando City SC
- Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Month - D.C. United
- Tyler Adams Named No. 2 on MLS' 22 Under 22 List - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Midfielder Luciano Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Midfielder Mohammed Abu to Norwegian First Division Side Valerenga Fotball - Columbus Crew SC
- Jon Patricof to Vacate NYCFC President Position and Take up Board Role - New York City FC
- Midfielder Saphir Taider Called up by Algeria - Montreal Impact
- Lions Begin Two-Game Road Trip Saturday in Dallas - Orlando City SC
- S2 Earns Point in 2-2 Draw with LA Galaxy II - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires up to $400,000 in Allocation Money Via Trade with FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Milton Valenzuela Undergoes Successful Right Knee Procedure
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Defender Waylon Francis in Trade with Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew SC Unveils New Gold Kit for 2019, Announces Individual Match Tickets Now Available for Sale
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires $175,000 of General Allocation Money Via Trade with the Montreal Impact