D.C. United Midfielder Luciano Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS
October 4, 2018 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - D.C. United midfielder Luciano Acosta was voted the MLS Player of the Month presented by EA SPORTS by members of the media for the month of September of the 2018 MLS season.
During September, Acosta scored four goals and added six assists over five matches, with D.C. maintaining an active five-game unbeaten streak. Acosta leads the league with 16 assists this season to go along with nine goals scored, both MLS career highs. D.C. United sit seventh in the Eastern Conference standings with 38 points (10-11-8 overall record), two points behind the Montreal Impact for the final playoff spot with two games in hand.
Acosta began the month with a brace in D.C.'s 3-1 victory over Atlanta United on Sept. 2 at Audi Field, scoring the first goal of the match in the face of two defenders before capping the day with another goal in transition. A week later, D.C. finished with a 1-1 draw at New York City FC on Sept. 8.
The Argentine then helped D.C. to a 2-1 victory when hosting Minnesota United on Sept. 12 with two assists, first on Ulises Segura's equalizer, followed by Darren Mattocks' game-winner. Acosta followed up with a one-goal, one-assist performance in D.C.'s 3-3 home draw against the rival New York Red Bulls on Sept. 16, providing the helper with a deftly touched pass into the box on Paul Arriola's match opening goal. D.C. then took a 3-2 lead on Acosta's chip on goalkeeper Luis Robles in the 87th minute before the Red Bulls equaled in the final minutes.
The 24-year-old midfielder capped the month with a goal and three assists in a 5-0 rout of the Montreal Impact on Sept. 29 at Audi Field. Acosta opened the match with his beautiful give-and-go goal in the 17th minute before providing his first assist of the night on Wayne Rooney's 48th minute score. D.C. ran rampant as Acosta provided helpers on two Paul Arriola goals, setting the American up for an easy tap-in in the 61st minute and again for a chip over the keeper in the 78th minute.
D.C. United return to action on Sunday, October 7 when hosting the Chicago Fire at Audi Field (1 p.m. ET, ESPN / WatchESPN / ESPN Deportes / TSN2).
MLS Player of the Month presented by EA SPORTS is voted upon by a panel of select national media members in a process conducted by MLS Communications.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 4, 2018
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 4, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- MNUFC Match Preview | News and Notes Ahead of Philadelphia Union - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- Three More FC Dallas Players Called to National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Adaptation and Progression Continues with New Coaching Regime - Orlando City SC
- Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Month - D.C. United
- Tyler Adams Named No. 2 on MLS' 22 Under 22 List - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Midfielder Luciano Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Midfielder Mohammed Abu to Norwegian First Division Side Valerenga Fotball - Columbus Crew SC
- Jon Patricof to Vacate NYCFC President Position and Take up Board Role - New York City FC
- Midfielder Saphir Taider Called up by Algeria - Montreal Impact
- Lions Begin Two-Game Road Trip Saturday in Dallas - Orlando City SC
- S2 Earns Point in 2-2 Draw with LA Galaxy II - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.