Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Month
WASHINGTON - D.C. United midfielder Luciano Acosta was voted the MLS Player of the Month presented by EA SPORTS by members of the media for the month of September of the 2018 MLS season.
During September, Acosta scored four goals and added six assists over five matches, while helping the Black-and-Red build an active five-game unbeaten streak. Acosta leads the league with 16 assists this season to go along with nine goals scored, both MLS career highs. United sit seventh in the Eastern Conference standings with 38 points (10-11-8 overall record), two points behind the Montreal Impact for the final playoff spot with two games in hand.
Acosta began the month with a brace in United's 3-1 victory over Atlanta United on Sept. 2 at Audi Field, scoring the first goal of the match in the face of two defenders before capping the day with another goal in transition. A week later, the Black-and-Red finished with a 1-1 draw at New York City FC on Sept. 8.
The Argentine then helped United to a 2-1 victory when hosting Minnesota United on Sept. 12 with two assists, first on Ulises Segura's equalizer, followed by Darren Mattocks' game-winner. Acosta followed up with a one-goal, one-assist performance in United's 3-3 home draw against the rival New York Red Bulls on Sept. 16, providing the helper with a deftly touched pass into the box on Paul Arriola's match opening goal. The Black-and-Red then took a 3-2 lead on Acosta's chip on goalkeeper Luis Robles in the 87th minute before the Red Bulls equaled in the final minutes.
The 24-year-old midfielder capped the month with a goal and three assists in a 5-0 rout of the Montreal Impact on Sept. 29 at Audi Field. Acosta opened the match with his beautiful give-and-go goal in the 17th minute before providing his first assist of the night on Wayne Rooney's 48th minute score. United ran rampant as Acosta provided helpers on two Paul Arriola goals, setting the American up for an easy tap-in in the 61st minute and again for a chip over the keeper in the 78th minute.
The Black-and-Red return to action on Sunday, October 7 when hosting the Chicago Fire at Audi Field (1 PM ET, ESPN / WatchESPN / ESPN Deportes / TSN2).
MLS Player of the Month presented by EA SPORTS is voted upon by a panel of select national media members in a process conducted by MLS Communications.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 4, 2018
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 4, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- MNUFC Match Preview | News and Notes Ahead of Philadelphia Union - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- Three More FC Dallas Players Called to National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Adaptation and Progression Continues with New Coaching Regime - Orlando City SC
- Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Month - D.C. United
- Tyler Adams Named No. 2 on MLS' 22 Under 22 List - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Midfielder Luciano Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Midfielder Mohammed Abu to Norwegian First Division Side Valerenga Fotball - Columbus Crew SC
- Jon Patricof to Vacate NYCFC President Position and Take up Board Role - New York City FC
- Midfielder Saphir Taider Called up by Algeria - Montreal Impact
- Lions Begin Two-Game Road Trip Saturday in Dallas - Orlando City SC
- S2 Earns Point in 2-2 Draw with LA Galaxy II - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Beat Colorado Rapids 3-2 on the Road
- D.C. United Announce Two Washington Spirit Matches at Audi Field
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 with Montreal at Audi Field
- D.C. United Fall to LAFC 4-0 at Audi Field
- D.C. United Announce Complimentary FloFC Subscriptions for Black-And-Red Fans in April