Timbers Weekly Update: October 4, 2018
PORTLAND, Ore. - With just three games remaining on the regular-season schedule, the Portland Timbers square off against Real Salt Lake in the first of consecutive meetings, starting with a road match on Saturday, Oct. 6, at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah. Beginning at 6:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a local television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS and local radio broadcasts on 750 AM/102.9 FM The Game (English) and La GranD 1150 AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Keeping clean sheets
The Timbers (13-9-9, 48pts) registered their ninth clean sheet in league play with a 0-0 draw against FC Dallas on Sept. 29 at Providence Park. It was Portland's seventh shutout at home in 2018, which is tied for the most in the Western Conference this season and is tied for the third-most in MLS. Additionally, Portland's nine clean sheets ranks tied for the sixth-most in MLS this season.
Against Real Salt Lake
Saturday's match is the first of back-to-back meetings for the Timbers against Real Salt Lake as Portland plays host to RSL on Oct. 21 at Providence Park, following an international break. Notably, it marks the seventh time that the Timbers will play the same opponent in consecutive MLS matches. In those matches, Portland has a record of 7-4-1. On the road against Real Salt Lake, the Timbers have earned at least one point in four of their last five matches (3-1-1), while scoring in all five of their previous trips to Rio Tinto Stadium.
Scouting Real Salt Lake
Real Salt Lake (13-11-7, 46pts) returns home to play host to Portland after earning a point in a 1-1 draw on the road against Sporting Kansas City on Sept. 30. Real Salt Lake is one of the best teams in the league at home, suffering just one loss in 2018 with a mark of 10-1-4, which ranks as the third-best home record in MLS. Individually, Damir Kreilach has tallied a team-best 11 goals, while Albert Rusnak has recorded 10 goals.
Following an international break, Portland returns home to play host to Real Salt Lake in the team's regular-season finale on Sunday, Oct. 21, at Providence Park. Beginning at 2 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a local television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS and local radio broadcasts on 750 AM/102.9 FM The Game (English) and La GranD 1150 AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
TEAM MEDIA SOURCES
Television: "Timbers in 30"
Throughout the season, "Timbers in 30," hosted by Jake Zivin and Ross Smith, will offer inside access to the club and provide analysis with in-studio appearances from Timbers coaches and players. Previously aired shows and "Timbers in 30" features can be found at www.timbers.com. This week, "Timbers in 30" airs on Friday at 6:30 p.m. (Pacific) on FOX 12 Oregon with Timbers goalkeeper Steve Clark.
Radio: "Talk Timbers"
The Timbers' weekly radio talk show, "Talk Timbers," airs every Wednesday evening beginning at 6 p.m. (Pacific) on flagship station 750 The Game. "Talk Timbers" provides team and league news as well as interviews with Timbers coaches and players during the season, and also features regular updates on T2 and Portland Thorns FC. This week's guests included Timbers goalkeeping coach Guillermo "Memo" Valencia and midfielder Diego Chara. Fans can submit questions, provide comments or simply follow the conversation on the show on Twitter with the hashtag #TalkTimbers.
Fans can tune in to the show live on 750 The Game or listen online at www.750thegame.com. Available podcasts can be downloaded at www.timbers.com/news/timbers-podcast-network.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 4, 2018
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 4, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- MNUFC Match Preview | News and Notes Ahead of Philadelphia Union - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- Three More FC Dallas Players Called to National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Adaptation and Progression Continues with New Coaching Regime - Orlando City SC
- Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Month - D.C. United
- Tyler Adams Named No. 2 on MLS' 22 Under 22 List - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Midfielder Luciano Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Midfielder Mohammed Abu to Norwegian First Division Side Valerenga Fotball - Columbus Crew SC
- Jon Patricof to Vacate NYCFC President Position and Take up Board Role - New York City FC
- Midfielder Saphir Taider Called up by Algeria - Montreal Impact
- Lions Begin Two-Game Road Trip Saturday in Dallas - Orlando City SC
- S2 Earns Point in 2-2 Draw with LA Galaxy II - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.