S2 Earns Point in 2-2 Draw with LA Galaxy II
TACOMA, WASH. - Sounders FC 2 (5-20-6, 21 points) on Wednesday earned a point in a 2-2 draw with LA Galaxy II at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma. S2 is now unbeaten in six of its last seven matches in front of the home crowd. Alex Roldan scored his first professional goal, while Lamar Neagle netted his third goal in seven games in USL play.
Roldan started the scoring in the 31st minute with a blast from outside the area. He pounced on an attempted punch clearance by Galaxy II goalkeeper Eric Lopez and slammed his volley into the top right corner. The goal was the first of Roldan's professional career after being drafted by the club in the First Round of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft.
Just three minutes later, Neagle took a feed from Henry Wingo and sent a bullet with his left foot into the top left corner to make it 2-0. The strike came from outside of the area in the same vicinity as Roldan's goal minutes before. Neagle is now tied with Wingo for third on the team in S2 goals this season with three.
LA broke through in the 39th minute when Emmanuel Appiah tallied his second goal of the season on a free kick, going up and over the wall to pull Galaxy II within a goal at 2-1. Frank Lopez scored the equalizer in the 80th minute on an assist from Didie Traore. Lopez settled Traore's feed near the penalty spot, spun to his right and finished to the left of S2 goalkeeper Bryan Meredith.
Eight First Team players started for S2 in Tony Alfaro, Handwalla Bwana, Jordy Delem, Jordan McCrary, Meredith, Neagle, Roldan and Wingo. Seattle also saw appearances from one Academy player in Khai Brisco.
Sounders FC 2 returns to action on Saturday, October 6 at Orange County SC. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m. PT and the match will be live-streamed on ESPN+.
Sounders FC 2 I 2-2 I LA Galaxy II
Wednesday, October 3, 2018
Venue: Cheney Stadium I Tacoma, Washington
Referee: Sergii Demianchuk
Assistants: Seth Martin, Christopher Turner
Fourth Official: Gustavo Caicdeo
Weather: 50 degrees and cloudy
SEA - Alex Roldan 31'
SEA - Lamar Neagle (Henry Wingo) 34'
LA - Emmanuel Appiah 39'
LA - Frank Lopez (Didie Traore) 80'
LA - Geoffrey Acheampong 26' (caution)
SEA - Tony Alfaro 73' (caution)
LA - Jean Engola 84' (caution)
LA - Julian Araujo 90'+3' (caution)
LINEUPS & STATS
S2 - Bryan Meredith; Jordan McCrary, Khai Brisco, Tony Alfaro, Ibrahim Usman; Alex Roldan, Jordy Delem (Antonee Burke-Gilroy 72'); Henry Wingo, Handwalla Bwana (David Estrada 62'), David Olsen; Lamar Neagle (Marlon Vargas 82')
Substitutes not used: Sam Fowler, Blake Malone, Enrique Montana, Alec Diaz
Total shots: 15
Shots on goal: 5
LA - Eric Lopez; Hugo Arellano, Jean Engola, Andre Zanga; Diedie Traore, Geoffrey Acheampong, Emmanuel Appiah, Adrian Vera (Jorge Hernandez 77'), Nate Shultz (Julian Araujo 88'); Ethan Zubak (Justin Dhillon 77'), Frank Lopez
Substitutes not used: Carlos Zuniga, Justin Fiddes
Total shots: 15
Shots on goal: 2
Images from this story
Sounders FC 2 midfielder Alex Roldan
(Charis Wilson / Sounders FC)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 4, 2018
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 4, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- MNUFC Match Preview | News and Notes Ahead of Philadelphia Union - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- Three More FC Dallas Players Called to National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Adaptation and Progression Continues with New Coaching Regime - Orlando City SC
- Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Month - D.C. United
- Tyler Adams Named No. 2 on MLS' 22 Under 22 List - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Midfielder Luciano Acosta Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Midfielder Mohammed Abu to Norwegian First Division Side Valerenga Fotball - Columbus Crew SC
- Jon Patricof to Vacate NYCFC President Position and Take up Board Role - New York City FC
- Midfielder Saphir Taider Called up by Algeria - Montreal Impact
- Lions Begin Two-Game Road Trip Saturday in Dallas - Orlando City SC
- S2 Earns Point in 2-2 Draw with LA Galaxy II - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Los Angeles FC - April 21, 2019
- Sounders FC to Open Full Stadium Capacity for Four Matches in 2019 MLS Regular Season
- Sounders FC Comes from Behind to Secure 3-2 Victory over Toronto FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Toronto FC - April 13, 2019
- Sounders FC to Wear Parley Kits on April 21 against LAFC