Colorado Rapids Acquire Defender Abdul Rwatubyaye, 2019 International Spot
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - Colorado Rapids Soccer Club announced today the acquisition of defender Abdul Rwatubyaye, a 2019 international roster spot, $50,000 in 2019 Targeted Allocation Money (TAM), and a second round pick in the 2020 SuperDraft via trade with Sporting Kansas City in exchange for Benny Feilhaber. Additionally, Colorado Rapids swap positions in the Waiver Order with Sporting Kansas City.
Feilhaber will serve as a season-ending injury replacement player for Sporting Kansas City and as part of the trade, Colorado receives Sporting Kansas City's $250,000 season-ending injury replacement player allowance.
"This transaction allows us to accumulate and reallocate significant assets toward younger, dynamic, high potential players who are committed to our club and our project," said Rapids Executive Vice President & General Manager, Pádraig Smith. "We are pleased to welcome Abdul to Colorado. He is a player with big talent and a lot of upside who we are excited to see develop with us."
"We wish Benny and his family all the best in moving forward," added Smith.
In his first season with Colorado, Feilhaber struck two goals and recorded two assists in nine appearances across 620 minutes. The Rio de Janeiro, Brazil native played in his 245th MLS match last weekend against Vancouver in what would be his last game in the Burgundy and Blue.
Rwatubyaye, 22, arrived to MLS in February of this year after spending the previous three seasons with Rayon Sports FC of the top-flight Rwanda Premier League where he would claim three league titles. The 6-foot-1 defender has made two appearances, one from the start, since joining Sporting KC and has played a combined 164 minutes.
The Rwanda Men's National Team international has 23 senior team caps and has scored one goal for the Wasps. Rwatubyaye has made numerous appearances in FIFA World Cup and Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers with his most recent one being on March 23 against Ivory Coast as Rwanda concluded 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying.
The Rapids are home this weekend to face Rocky Mountain rivals Real Salt Lake on May 11 with kickoff slated for 7:00 p.m. MT. Tickets are on sale and can be purchased by going to https://www.coloradorapids.com/tickets.
Please visit the club's official website at ColoradoRapids.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for up-to-the-minute information.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids - May 8, 2019 - Colorado Rapids have acquired defender Abdul Rwatubyaye, a 2019 international roster spot, $50,000 in 2019 Targeted Allocation Money (TAM), and a second round pick in the 2020 SuperDraft via trade with Sporting Kansas City in exchange for Benny Feilhaber. Additionally, Colorado Rapids swap positions in the Waiver Order with Sporting Kansas City.
Full Name: Abdul Rwatubyaye
Weight: 175 lbs.
Birth Date: October 23, 1996
Hometown: Kigali, Rwanda
Birthplace: Kigali, Rwanda
MLS Roster Status: International
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 8, 2019
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Records 5-0 Win over New England Revolution - Chicago Fire
- Red Bulls Falter Late, Lose to Montreal, 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Defeats Toronto FC 2-0 - Atlanta United FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Columbus Crew SC 3 - Wednesday, May 8, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Revolution Drop Away Match at Chicago Fire, 5-0 - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC Acquires Benny Feilhaber in Trade with Colorado - Sporting Kansas City
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Defender Abdul Rwatubyaye, 2019 International Spot - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Signs Midfielder Brandt Bronico to New Contract - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Partner with Copia to Manage Food Waste at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- FOX Sports to Broadcast "Final Whistle on Hate" Match Between New England Revolution and Chelsea FC - New England Revolution
- Philadelphia Union Sign Forward Michee Ngalina - Philadelphia Union
- New FC Cincinnati Bench Boss to be Youngest in Charge in MLS History: Week 11 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Targeted Allocation Money from the Colorado Rapids - Columbus Crew SC
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Centerback Lalas Abubakar from Columbus Crew SC on a One-Year Loan - Colorado Rapids
- New York City FC Trades Jonathan Lewis to the Colorado Rapids - New York City FC
- Colorado Rapids Acquire USMNT Forward Jonathan Lewis from New York City FC - Colorado Rapids
- By the Numbers: Miles on the Road - Orlando City SC
- Dynamo Match at FC Dallas Rescheduled to August 25 for FS1 Broadcast - Houston Dynamo
- Philadelphia Union Receive $500,000 in Allocation Money, International Roster Spot from Columbus Crew SC - Philadelphia Union
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires David Accam in Trade with the Philadelphia Union - Columbus Crew SC
- Texas Derby Finale vs. Houston Dynamo Rescheduled to August 25 for FS1 Broadcast - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Sign Forward Tom Barlow to MLS Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts the La Galaxy at MAPFRE Stadium Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Completes Deadline Day Haul by Adding Xavier Arreaga and Joevin Jones to Roster - Seattle Sounders FC
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- In 2020, the Colorado Rapids Took Steps Toward Future Success
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: November 22, 2020