Chiefs Shut out in Opening Pre-Season Game at Everett, 2-0
Everett, Wash. -- Goaltender Campbell Arnold was in mid-season form but the Spokane Chiefs' offense couldn't find a rhythm on Friday night in Everett, losing their 2021 WHL Pre-Season opener 2-0 to the hosting Silvertips.
The Chiefs outshot the Silvertips 10-9 in the opening frame but it was Everett forward Alex Swetlikoff who found the net, scoring with only 4:21 left in the period. Youngster Ben Hemmerling earned his first of two assists on the play.
The second period was all Everett as the home team outshot Spokane 25-7 while adding another goal to their lead. Again it was a late period goal that tilted in the Silvertips' favor, this time with the man advantage as third-year defenseman Aidan Sutter snuck one by Arnold.
Headed into the third down two goals, the Chiefs found their footing again, outshooting Everett 10-4 but goaltender Koen MacInnes held strong on his way to a shutout.
In total, Arnold turned aside 36 of 38 shots faced to keep the Chiefs in it. As can be expected in exhibition play, special teams struggled; Spokane went 0-for-5 while Everett was 1-for-4.
The Chiefs will stay in Everett for their second pre-season game, facing Seattle at 2 p.m. on Saturday.
The Spokane Chiefs are a member of the U.S. Division of the Western Hockey League, the world's finest development league for junior hockey players. Since 1985 the Chiefs have been a pillar in the Spokane community, offering family-friendly entertainment and a winning tradition which includes: two Memorial Cup Championships in 1991 & 2008, two WHL Championships in 1991 & 2008 and four Western Conference Championships in 1991, 1996, 2000 & 2008. Over 60 alumni have gone on to play in the National Hockey League.
The Chiefs' 2021-22 regular season will begin on Saturday, October 2 as they host the Tri-City Americans at Spokane Arena. Ticket packages for the 2021-22 season are available now! With options starting at just $80, there's an option to fit every budget and schedule. For more information, visit spokanechiefs.com.
Single game tickets for the Chiefs' 2021-22 regular season will go on sale via ticketswest.com on Wednesday, September 15 at 10 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 10, 2021
- Pats Start Pre-Season with 5-4 Win over ICE - Regina Pats
- Chiefs Shut out in Opening Pre-Season Game at Everett, 2-0 - Spokane Chiefs
- Winterhawks Cruise to Impressive Win over Seattle in Preseason Debut - Portland Winterhawks
- Former Oil King Keeler Brings Plenty of Experience, Leadership, to Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Sidewalk Sale Taking Place Tomorrow - Saskatoon Blades
- Victoria Royals Announce 2021-22 Hockey Personnel - Victoria Royals
- Pats Ink Pair of Defencemen - Regina Pats
- Preseason Changes Unveiled - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Tigers Attending NHL Camps - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oil Kings Announce Single Game Tickets to Go on Sale Next Week - Edmonton Oil Kings
- T-Birds Acquire Mason Dunsford from Portland - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Pats Open Pre-Season vs. ICE - Regina Pats
- Winterhawks Acquire Conditional Pick in 2023 for Dunsford - Portland Winterhawks
- Silvertips Sign 2005-Born Prospects, RW Kyan Grouette and D Logan Greenough - Everett Silvertips
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Select Forward Harrington with First Round Pick in 2022 WHL Prospects Draft
- Chiefs Select Forward Hafele, Goaltender Denes in WHL U.S. Priority Draft
- Chiefs Prepare for U.S. Priority Draft and WHL Prospects Draft
- Chiefs Announce 2021-22 Team Awards
- Bear Hughes Selected as Players' Player