Pats Start Pre-Season with 5-4 Win over ICE
Regina, Sask. -Â The Regina Pats kicked off their 2021-22 pre-season with a bang on Friday night, coming from behind to defeat the Winnipeg ICE 5-4 in regulation.
The regiment got goals from five different players, including a shorthanded beauty in the second period from Connor Bedard and a beautiful shot from Cole Dubinsky that stood up as the game-winner late in the third.
There were five total lead changes in this hockey game, making it a doozy for fans.
The ICE got on the board a few minutes into the first, but Regina responded just over a minute later thanks to Easton Armstrong driving the net hard.
Two and a half minutes later, Tanner Howe gave the Pats a 2-1 lead after potting home a backhand.
Cole Muir would tie the game for the ICE, making it a 2-2 game after 20 minutes.
Early in the second, Winnipeg scored on the power play to take a 3-2 lead. Five minutes later, the ICE had another power play opportunity, but this time it was Bedard who found the back of the net, using his blazing speed to take the puck end to end and finish on the forehand.
Muir netted his second of the night to give the visitors a 4-3 lead before the second intermission.
In the third, Zack Stringer scored his first as a Pat after goaltender Dawson Cowan gave him a gift while trying to pass to one of his defenceman.
With under four minutes to go in the game, Dubinsky rifled a shot from just outside the left face-off circle to give the Pats the win.
Tanner Howe - REG - 1G
Cole Dubinsky - REG- 1G, 1A
Chase Bertholet - WPG - 2A
The Pats have five more pre-season contests, including a rematch tomorrow against the ICE on the road.
Here is their remaining exhibition schedule in full:
Saturday, September 11 at Winnipeg - 7:00 p.m.
Friday, September 17 at Prince Albert - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, September 18 vs. Prince Albert - 7:00 p.m.
Friday, September 24 at Moose Jaw - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, September 25 vs. Moose Jaw - 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 10, 2021
- Pats Start Pre-Season with 5-4 Win over ICE - Regina Pats
- Chiefs Shut out in Opening Pre-Season Game at Everett, 2-0 - Spokane Chiefs
- Winterhawks Cruise to Impressive Win over Seattle in Preseason Debut - Portland Winterhawks
- Former Oil King Keeler Brings Plenty of Experience, Leadership, to Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Sidewalk Sale Taking Place Tomorrow - Saskatoon Blades
- Victoria Royals Announce 2021-22 Hockey Personnel - Victoria Royals
- Pats Ink Pair of Defencemen - Regina Pats
- Preseason Changes Unveiled - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Tigers Attending NHL Camps - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oil Kings Announce Single Game Tickets to Go on Sale Next Week - Edmonton Oil Kings
- T-Birds Acquire Mason Dunsford from Portland - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Pats Open Pre-Season vs. ICE - Regina Pats
- Winterhawks Acquire Conditional Pick in 2023 for Dunsford - Portland Winterhawks
- Silvertips Sign 2005-Born Prospects, RW Kyan Grouette and D Logan Greenough - Everett Silvertips
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.