Chiefs lose 4-0, drop fourth straight
Peoria, IL - The Kane County Cougars scored three times in 4th inning and added an insurance run in the 8th to defeat the Peoria Chiefs 4-0 Thursday night in front of 2,769 at O'Brien Field. The Chiefs have now lost four in a row and fall to 6-9 on the second half and 41-44 overall.
Kane County scored in the 4th inning as they led off the frame with three consecutive hits, including an RBI single from Eddie Kim to score Cliff Pennington for a 1-0 lead. Two batters later, Jose Pineda hit a two-run home run onto the left field concourse for a 3-0 lead.
The Chiefs managed just three hits throughout the night. Ryan Harvey led off the 4th inning with a bloop double to left field, but was stranded after Drew Larsen grounded into a double play to end the threat. Anthony Granato and Joe Simokaitis also had hits for the Chiefs. The Cougars added an insurance run for a 4-0 lead on a sacrifice fly by Kim to score Nick Blasi.
Chiefs starter Sean Gallagher lost for just the third time this season, going seven innings and allowing three runs on six hits. His record falls to 8-3. Kane County starting pitcher Ryan Webb recorded the win, pitching six scoreless innings and allowing three hits.
Pepsi Player of the Game
Ryan Harvey (RF) - The Chiefs outfielder went 1-for-3 with a double and was hit by a pitch in the 1st inning. His season average is now at .256 with 11 home runs, 47 RBI, and 15 doubles. He's slugging .444.
Notes... Chiefs manager Julio Garcia was ejected in the bottom of the 4th inning after arguing a play at first base in which Drew Larsen was called out...The Cougars outscored the Chiefs 32-7 and outhit the Chiefs 52-19 over the four game series...The Chiefs start a four-game series with Wisconsin Friday night at O'Brien Field...The first 1,500 fans through the gates will receive a Mark Prior action figure...The ZOOperstars! will perform as well...Rich Hill will start for the Chiefs...First pitch is set for 7 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 7, 2005
- Beloit builds big lead and hold on to beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Webb, Cougars blank Chiefs for another victory - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs lose 4-0, drop fourth straight - Peoria Chiefs
- Lansing takes three of four from Dragons with 6-1 win in series finale - Dayton Dragons
- Rich Hill to start for Chiefs on Friday July 8 - Peoria Chiefs
- Beloit Snappers notebook - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps rally to beat Swing - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Torres wins first, Toussaint powers Kernels to fifth in a row - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Last minute wins becoming habit - West Michigan Whitecaps
- McIntyre named Tigers minor league player of the month - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Starting rotation takes a hit - Dayton Dragons
- Diamondbacks hand out monthly honors for June - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Lucas Activated, Begins Suspension - Burlington Bees
- Playing dress up - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Fan Fest Coming this Weekend - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings pound Rays, 12-2 - Clinton LumberKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Single Game Tickets Go on Sale March 16
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Bobble Heads and Theme Ticket Packages
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Fireworks Dates
- Chiefs Scholarship Applications Open Until March 4
- Almonte Returns as Chiefs Manager in 2020; Gabella & Martin Join Staff