Diamondbacks hand out monthly honors for June
South Bend, IN -- The Arizona Diamondbacks announced today that outfielder Carlos Gonzalez and right-handed pitcher Matt Elliott have been named the organization's minor league Player- and Pitcher-of-the-Month for June. It was the first monthly honor for both players.
Gonzalez, 19, led the farm system with a .400 batting average (40-for-100). His hit total and .474 on-base percentage also paced Arizona farmhands, while he hit safely in 22 of 24 games for the South Bend Silver Hawks (A - Midwest League). He fashioned a 16-game hitting streak from June 1-17, during which he batted .448 (30-for-67) with 4 doubles, 3 homers and 13 RBI. Gonzalez is a native of Venezuela and signed with Arizona as a non-drafted free agent on August 3, 2002.
Elliott, a 21-year old hurler, converted all 9 save chances while posting a 2.08 ERA for South Bend. In his 12 appearances, he limited opposing teams to a miniscule .093 average (4-for-43) with 5 walks and 21 strikeouts over 13.0 frames. His rescue total not only topped the organization, but also led the entire Midwest League during June. Elliott did not permit an earned run over his final 11 outings for the month. Elliott joined the Diamondbacks' system as a non-drafted free agent on July 2, 2004.
For the season, Gonzalez is batting .324 (fifth in the Midwest League) while his 60 RBI are tied for second. Elliott is second in the circuit with 21 saves this season.
Both players were selected to the Midwest League All-Star Game on June 21, with Gonzalez going 3-for-5 with a run scored while Elliott did not get into the game.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 7, 2005
- Beloit builds big lead and hold on to beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Webb, Cougars blank Chiefs for another victory - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs lose 4-0, drop fourth straight - Peoria Chiefs
- Lansing takes three of four from Dragons with 6-1 win in series finale - Dayton Dragons
- Rich Hill to start for Chiefs on Friday July 8 - Peoria Chiefs
- Beloit Snappers notebook - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps rally to beat Swing - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Torres wins first, Toussaint powers Kernels to fifth in a row - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Last minute wins becoming habit - West Michigan Whitecaps
- McIntyre named Tigers minor league player of the month - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Starting rotation takes a hit - Dayton Dragons
- Diamondbacks hand out monthly honors for June - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Lucas Activated, Begins Suspension - Burlington Bees
- Playing dress up - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Fan Fest Coming this Weekend - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings pound Rays, 12-2 - Clinton LumberKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Silver Hawks Stories
- Silver Hawks Set New Single Season Attendance Record
- Hot Rods Lap Hawks in Fast and Furious Sixth Inning
- Hawks Hold Back Tempest, Calm Whitecaps 5-3
- Silver Hawks' Players Named as 2014 Midwest League Post Season All-Stars
- Hawks Top 'Caps on Williams' Walk-Off Blast