Rich Hill to start for Chiefs on Friday July 8
PEORIA, IL-The Peoria Chiefs in conjunction with the Chicago Cubs have announced that starting pitcher Rich Hill will start for the Chiefs Friday night against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers at 7:00 PM at O'Brien Field.
Hill was scheduled to pitch for the AAA Iowa Cubs on Friday in New Orleans but an impending hurricane has cancelled the three game series and the Cubs don't want Hill to miss a start. Instead of facing the Zephyrs, Hill will face Wisconsin in the opener of a four game weekend series at O'Brien Field.
The left-hander started the year at AA West Tenn and blew through the Southern League posting a 4-3 record and a 3.28 ERA. In 57 2/3 innings he led the league in strikeouts with 90 while walking just 21. Hill earned a May promotion to AAA Iowa where he made his first start June 1st and went 3-1 with a 3.90 ERA with a Major League call-up mixed in. In 32 1/3 innings at AAA Hill struck out 49 batters while walking just nine. In three appearances with the Cubs Hill was 0-0 with a 4.76 ERA and nine strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings.
Hill was a 4th round pick in 2002 out of the University of Michigan. Before making his mark this season, Hill was 8-15 with a 4.23 ERA in 63 games and 42 starts in three seasons in the Cubs organization. He made four starts and 15 appearances for Julio Garcia in Lansing in 2003 going 0-1 with a 2.76 ERA.
With Hill starting on Friday, Chiefs starter Matt Weber will be pushed back to Saturday and the rest of the rotation will also move back one day. The first 1500 fans through the gates on Friday will receive Mark Prior Action Figurines courtesy of O'Brien Automotive. Also, the ZOOperstars will be on hand to entertain for the second time this season.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 7, 2005
- Beloit builds big lead and hold on to beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Webb, Cougars blank Chiefs for another victory - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs lose 4-0, drop fourth straight - Peoria Chiefs
- Lansing takes three of four from Dragons with 6-1 win in series finale - Dayton Dragons
- Rich Hill to start for Chiefs on Friday July 8 - Peoria Chiefs
- Beloit Snappers notebook - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps rally to beat Swing - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Torres wins first, Toussaint powers Kernels to fifth in a row - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Last minute wins becoming habit - West Michigan Whitecaps
- McIntyre named Tigers minor league player of the month - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Starting rotation takes a hit - Dayton Dragons
- Diamondbacks hand out monthly honors for June - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Lucas Activated, Begins Suspension - Burlington Bees
- Playing dress up - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Fan Fest Coming this Weekend - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings pound Rays, 12-2 - Clinton LumberKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.