Chicago Fire Acquire Forward Yura Movsisyan
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - The Chicago Fire announced Friday that the club has claimed forward Yura Movsisyan off waivers.
Movsisyan, 31, joins the Fire after most recently spending time on loan with Swedish first-division side Djurgardens IF, where he appeared in four matches in the 2017-18 campaign.
Movsisyan began his professional career when he was selected in the first round (fourth overall) of the 2006 MLS SuperDraft by the Kansas City Wizards. He scored five goals in 28 regular-season appearances before he was traded to Real Salt Lake in September 2007.
In his first stint with RSL, Movsisyan scored 15 goals and tallied three assists in 53 regular-season appearances (36 starts). He added one goal and one assist in seven postseason appearances (5 starts), helping RSL capture the 2009 MLS Cup.
Following the championship season, Movsisyan departed for Danish Superliga club Randers FC. From 2010-11, he scored 12 goals in 30 appearances, while also adding five goals in five UEFA Europa League appearances, before transferring to the Russian Premier League's FC Krasnodar on Jan. 3, 2011.
In his first season in Russia, Movsisyan scored 14 goals en route to club MVP honors. The following season he tallied nine goals in 14 matches prior to joining Spartak Moscow in December 2012.
Movsisyan scored a hat trick in his debut for Spartak Moscow, a 3-1 victory over Akhmat Grozny on March 10, 2013. Movsisyan scored 25 total goals in 62 matches during his time in Moscow from 2012-16.
Movsisyan returned to RSL on loan on Jan. 15, 2016, and was permanently acquired on Oct. 10, 2016. In his second stint with the club, he tallied 16 goals and three assists in 57 league matches.
At the international level, Movsisyan scored in his debut for the Armenian National team, a 4-0 win over Andorra on Oct. 12, 2010. Movsisyan has since earned 34 caps for his country and scored nine goals, including a fifth-minute strike in a 2-2 draw against Italy in FIFA World Cup qualifying on Oct. 15, 2013.
Transaction: Chicago Fire claim forward Yura Movsisyan off waivers.
Name: Yura Movsisyan
Weight: 177 lbs.
Date of Birth: Aug. 2, 1987
Birthplace: Baku, Azerbaijan
Citizenship: United States of America
Last Club: Real Salt Lake
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2018
- Defender Kyle Fisher Successfully Undergoes Second Surgery - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Nedum Onuoha - Real Salt Lake
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Vancouver Whitecaps FC - September 15, 2018 - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Hosts Columbus Crew SC Tomorrow: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- LAFC to Host New England Revolution on Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Impact Visits Philadelphia Union Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- Storylines | City vs. Chicago Fire - Orlando City SC
- Next Phase of Coleman Highline Development Under Way - San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Colorado Rapids - Atlanta United FC
- Fewer Than 500 Tickets Remaining for Saturday's Match Versus Seattle - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Takes on FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium Tomorrow Night at 8:00 p.m. Et - Columbus Crew SC
- Chick-Fil-A Joins BBVA Compass Stadium Concessions Menu - Houston Dynamo
- 5 Orlando City Development Academy Players Get U.S. Youth Call-Ups - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at LAFC - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC Set for Saturday Showdown in San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Acquire Forward Yura Movsisyan - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club, Lansing Ignite FC Form Alliance
- Chicago Fire Midfielder PrzemysÅ?aw Frankowski Called up to Poland National Team
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 20, 2019
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 4-1 to San Jose Earthquakes at Avaya Stadium
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Loans Stefan Cleveland, Grant Lillard to Lansing Ignite FC