Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Nedum Onuoha
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake General Manager Craig Waibel announced on Friday that the club has signed free agent DF Nedum Onuoha ahead of the 2018 roster freeze date.
"Nedum will add tremendous experience and leadership to our group," Waibel said. "The expectation is that he will come over, regain full fitness and contribute as we enter the stretch run and into next year."
Onuoha, 31, was born in Warri, Nigeria, and raised in Manchester, England, rising through the Manchester City youth system before making his professional debut at 17 years old for City in 2004. He would go on to appear in 95 league matches for Manchester City and spent one season on loan to Sunderland, where he played in 31 matches, before making the move to Queens Park Rangers. With QPR, he played in 207 matches from 2011-2018, captaining the club starting in 2015. Of his 333 career league matches in England, 188 came in the Premier League and 145 in Championship.
An imposing and athletic presence at 6-feet tall, Onuoha also has 11 goals and 10 assists in his career. He joins a defense that has seven shutouts and a 1.64 goals against average in 28 matches this season.
Transaction: Real Salt Lake Signs DF Nedum Onuoha.
Name: Nedum Onuoha
Pronunciation: NAY-dum Onu-oha
Jersey Number: 14
Weight: 210 lbs.
Date of Birth: November 12, 1986
Birthplace: Warri, Nigeria
Hometown: Manchester, England
Last Club: Queens Park Rangers (England)
How Acquired: Signed on 9-14-2018
Roster Designation: International
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2018
- Defender Kyle Fisher Successfully Undergoes Second Surgery - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Nedum Onuoha - Real Salt Lake
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Vancouver Whitecaps FC - September 15, 2018 - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Hosts Columbus Crew SC Tomorrow: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- LAFC to Host New England Revolution on Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Impact Visits Philadelphia Union Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- Storylines | City vs. Chicago Fire - Orlando City SC
- Next Phase of Coleman Highline Development Under Way - San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Colorado Rapids - Atlanta United FC
- Fewer Than 500 Tickets Remaining for Saturday's Match Versus Seattle - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Takes on FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium Tomorrow Night at 8:00 p.m. Et - Columbus Crew SC
- Chick-Fil-A Joins BBVA Compass Stadium Concessions Menu - Houston Dynamo
- 5 Orlando City Development Academy Players Get U.S. Youth Call-Ups - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at LAFC - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC Set for Saturday Showdown in San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Acquire Forward Yura Movsisyan - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.