Chicago Builds 4-0 Lead on Way to 4-2 Win
The Manitoba Moose (23-21-3-2) scored the first four goals of the game in a 4-2 win over the Chicago Wolves (27-16-5-1) on Wednesday night at Bell MTS Place. The Moose got out to a hot start, outshooting the Wolves by a 6-0 count through the first five minutes of the contest. Manitoba opened the scoring 9:32 into the game while the teams were skating four-on-four. Michael Spacek fought off a check at the blue line and sent the puck to Jansen Harkins in front, where Harkins worked the puck around Max Lagace and tapped it into the net. The Moose extended their lead when Hunter Fejes tipped a Cam Maclise point shot to the back of the net with 6:27 to go in the period. Eric Comrie turned away nine shots from Chicago to help the Moose to a 2-0 lead after one period.
Comrie was tested early in the second, coming up with a glove save on a shorthanded two-on-one chance for Chicago. The Moose had an odd-man chance of their own minutes later, and Alexis D'Aoust sent a perfect pass over to Marko Dano for a tap-in and a 3-0 Manitoba lead 7:09 into the period. The hosts continued to push throughout the middle frame, but were unable to add to their advantage before the break.
Manitoba tallied its fourth goal on a pretty passing play between JC Lipon and Harkins that ended with Spacek firing the puck into a wide-open net 11:16 into the third. Chicago broke up Comrie's shutout bid with 7:24 left on the clock on a Daniel Carr redirect during a power play. Chicago got to within two goals with 36 seconds remaining, courtesy of another tipped puck, this one from Curtis McKenzie. The Wolves called Lagace to the bench for the extra attacker, but the Moose shut things down from there, claiming a 4-2 victory.
Tucker Poolman extended his point streak to six games with seven points (1G, 6A).
Jansen Harkins reached the 10-goal mark for the first time in his AHL career.
Michael Spacek set a new career high with his 22nd assist of the season.
Hunter Fejes set a new career high with his second goal of the season. Quotable
Forward JC Lipon on getting contributions from the whole lineup - "In the first period, those guys were working hard. They lead by example too some nights. It's not all the time the top two lines can be going. They were good and they had some big goals. Then we kind of stepped in when the game started unfolding a bit. So, it was good."
Head Coach Pascal Vincent on the Moose - "We're moving the puck faster, so we look faster. We understand a bit more what everyone is doing and what we're doing on the ice. So, there is some synergy out there offensively, and so we can move the puck quicker, faster and the execution is better. We look faster, but we're not necessarily a faster team, but we look faster. We play quicker, but we're just moving the puck faster."
Game Summary: https://mbmoo.se/2TP69j9
Highlights and Post-Game Coverage: moosehockey.com/moosetv
Photo Gallery: https://mbmoo.se/2SLrddr
The Moose and Wolves clash again on Friday in a 7 p.m. CT matchup. Tickets for Friday's game are available at moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2019
- Red Wings Assign Cholowski and Frk to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Introduce March Madness Ticket Offers - Stockton Heat
- Terry Recalled, Cracknell Joins Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Limited Lanes Available for Bowl-A-Thon - Rockford IceHogs
- Pascal Laberge Activated from IR - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roadrunners Return Home Next Saturday with Youth Jersey Giveaway Night - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Host Winning Wednesday and $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Hosting Annual Hometown Heroes Night Saturday, February 23 against Belleville - Rochester Americans
- Connor Brickley Recalled by NY Rangers, Drew Melanson Summoned from Maine and Derek Pratt signed to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Forward Jonny Brodzinski Assigned by Los Angeles Kings on Conditioning Assignment - Ontario Reign
- Binghamton Devils to Host Police vs. Fire Heart Cup Game on Saturday - Binghamton Devils
- Admirals to Host 2nd Annual Great Skate Friday Night - Milwaukee Admirals
- Archibald, Goloubef, Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Sens First Line Initiating Playoff Push - Belleville Senators
- Sam Morin Loaned to Lehigh Valley for Conditioning - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Phantoms Recall G Branden Komm - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Make It a Bakers(field) Dozen for Condors, 4-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Furious Rally Earns OT Point - San Diego Gulls
- Chicago Builds 4-0 Lead on Way to 4-2 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Stumble in 4-1 Loss to Comets - Laval Rocket
- Quine Scores, Heat Offense Goes Cold in 4-1 Loss - Stockton Heat
- Colorado Staves off Late Rally to Top Gulls, 5-4 in OT - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.