Red Wings Assign Cholowski and Frk to Griffins
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Thursday assigned defenseman Dennis Cholowski and forward Martin Frk to the Grand Rapids Griffins.
??Cholowski, 20, started his rookie season in Detroit and has contributed 16 points (7-9-16) and 16 penalty minutes in 52 games while averaging 18:15 of ice time. Among first-year NHL skaters, he ties for 17th in points and places third with nine power play points, including four goals (T3rd) and five assists (T4th). The 6-foot-1, 195-pound blueliner scored a goal in his NHL debut on Oct. 4 vs. Columbus - becoming the 169th Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL.
??Selected 20th overall in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft by Detroit, Cholowski has appeared in one playoff and one regular season game with the Griffins. He made his professional debut with Grand Rapids in the 2016-17 regular season finale at Milwaukee and last appeared with the Griffins during Game 3 of the 2018 Central Division Semifinals against Manitoba.
??Prior to turning pro, Cholowski combined for 66 points (14-52-66), a plus-29 rating and 32 PIM while splitting his first major junior campaign between Prince George (13-26-39 in 37 GP) and Portland (1-26-27 in 32 GP) of the Western Hockey League in 2017-18. He ranked among the WHL's top defensemen in points (8th), goals (T6th), assists (8th), plus-minus rating (T12th), shots (180, 12th) and power play points (32, T3rd). Cholowski also led Portland with five playoff goals in 12 games while his seven points finished sixth.
??Frk, 25, has recorded five points (1-4-5) and two PIM while averaging 8:24 of ice time in 25 appearances with the Red Wings this season. Detroit's first selection, 49th overall, in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Frk has skated in 93 games with the Red Wings the last two seasons, tallying 30 points (12-18-30) and 16 PIM. He made his NHL debut with the Carolina Hurricanes at the beginning of the 2016-17 campaign - becoming the 156th Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL when he debuted on Oct. 18 at Edmonton - and played in a total of two games.
??A 6-foot-1, 205-pound winger, Frk logged 214 contests with the Griffins from 2013-17, accumulating 118 points (63-55-118) and 185 PIM. He netted the Calder Cup-clinching goal in the third period of Game 6 of the 2017 Finals against Syracuse and has contributed 21 points (6-15-21) in 26 postseason tilts. During his last full season with Grand Rapids in 2016-17, Frk produced career highs in points (50) and assists (23) in 65 games while pacing the club with both 27 goals and 12 power play goals - his second straight year leading the Griffins in power play tallies after he collected 11 in 2015-16. Frk's 12 power play goals in 2016-17 tied for seventh on the franchise's single-season list and his 24 career tallies tie for fifth all time.
??A native of Pelhrimov, Czech Republic, Frk skated with the QMJHL's Halifax Mooseheads from 2010-13 and capped his junior career by helping the club claim the Memorial Cup in 2013.
??The Central Division-leading Griffins continue their season-high seven-game homestand on Friday and Saturday against the San Antonio Rampage at 7 p.m.
?Single-game tickets are currently on sale. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2019
- Red Wings Assign Cholowski and Frk to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Introduce March Madness Ticket Offers - Stockton Heat
- Terry Recalled, Cracknell Joins Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Limited Lanes Available for Bowl-A-Thon - Rockford IceHogs
- Pascal Laberge Activated from IR - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roadrunners Return Home Next Saturday with Youth Jersey Giveaway Night - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Host Winning Wednesday and $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Hosting Annual Hometown Heroes Night Saturday, February 23 against Belleville - Rochester Americans
- Connor Brickley Recalled by NY Rangers, Drew Melanson Summoned from Maine and Derek Pratt signed to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Forward Jonny Brodzinski Assigned by Los Angeles Kings on Conditioning Assignment - Ontario Reign
- Binghamton Devils to Host Police vs. Fire Heart Cup Game on Saturday - Binghamton Devils
- Admirals to Host 2nd Annual Great Skate Friday Night - Milwaukee Admirals
- Archibald, Goloubef, Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Sens First Line Initiating Playoff Push - Belleville Senators
- Sam Morin Loaned to Lehigh Valley for Conditioning - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Phantoms Recall G Branden Komm - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Make It a Bakers(field) Dozen for Condors, 4-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Furious Rally Earns OT Point - San Diego Gulls
- Chicago Builds 4-0 Lead on Way to 4-2 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Stumble in 4-1 Loss to Comets - Laval Rocket
- Quine Scores, Heat Offense Goes Cold in 4-1 Loss - Stockton Heat
- Colorado Staves off Late Rally to Top Gulls, 5-4 in OT - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Detroit Assigns 11 to Grand Rapids
- Griffins to Return to Play in February
- Griffins to Ring in New Year in Detroit
- Griffins' Teddy Bear Toss & Holiday Drive Nets Sleighful for Local Charities
- Griffins and Versiti Blood Center to Host Blood Drive at Van Andel Arena on January 2