Sens First Line Initiating Playoff Push
The Belleville Senators have thrown themselves right back in the North Division playoff race on the back of their current ten-game point streak.
Sure, the team's had solid goaltending and have been sound defensively, conceding just 24 goals over that time, but up front the Sens have been led by Drake Batherson, Logan Brown and Nick Paul.
Batherson currently boasts a franchise best ten-game point streak while Brown's was at eight games before being held pointless Wednesday. In the five games Paul has played since his reassignment from Ottawa, the Sens have gone 5-0 and the Sens' first line has combined for a whopping 31 points over that span.
"I think Drake and I were playing pretty good hockey and then we got put together and it seemed like it started clicking," Brown said. "As soon as Nick came down that's a huge addition for our team and especially our line as he opens up so much space. It's three big guys who can all move the puck and score goals so it's been a lot of fun."
Batherson has completely re-written the Sens' franchise record book in his rookie season that has also included a 17-game stint with Ottawa, an AHL All-Star Challenge MVP win and two CCM/AHL Player of the Week awards. He is also the AHL's rookie scoring leader with 46 points (16 goals) in just 38 games.
"We all bring different stuff to the table and I think we can all make plays and score goals," Batherson said. "We've been using each other well and it's been going great.
"Hopefully we can create more chemistry as the season goes on and continue that playoff push."
Since re-joining Belleville on Feb. 4 after clearing waivers, Paul has made a dramatic effect to the Sens offence. The team has scored 25 goals in those five games while Batherson and Brown have each reaped the benefits of his return: Batherson has 13 points while Brown has 10 over that stretch.
"I don't know what it is but it's been working," Paul said. "Brownie and Batherson have been on fire but the team's been on fire too. We've been on a little groove her, got some swagger and want to keep it going. It's just been clicking.
"I think we need to be a little better defensively; better sticks, better back check and that will result in more offence for us. We know what we have to do and keep playing the same way."
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2019
- Red Wings Assign Cholowski and Frk to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Introduce March Madness Ticket Offers - Stockton Heat
- Terry Recalled, Cracknell Joins Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Limited Lanes Available for Bowl-A-Thon - Rockford IceHogs
- Pascal Laberge Activated from IR - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roadrunners Return Home Next Saturday with Youth Jersey Giveaway Night - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Host Winning Wednesday and $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Hosting Annual Hometown Heroes Night Saturday, February 23 against Belleville - Rochester Americans
- Connor Brickley Recalled by NY Rangers, Drew Melanson Summoned from Maine and Derek Pratt signed to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Forward Jonny Brodzinski Assigned by Los Angeles Kings on Conditioning Assignment - Ontario Reign
- Binghamton Devils to Host Police vs. Fire Heart Cup Game on Saturday - Binghamton Devils
- Admirals to Host 2nd Annual Great Skate Friday Night - Milwaukee Admirals
- Archibald, Goloubef, Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Sens First Line Initiating Playoff Push - Belleville Senators
- Sam Morin Loaned to Lehigh Valley for Conditioning - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Phantoms Recall G Branden Komm - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Make It a Bakers(field) Dozen for Condors, 4-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Furious Rally Earns OT Point - San Diego Gulls
- Chicago Builds 4-0 Lead on Way to 4-2 Win - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Stumble in 4-1 Loss to Comets - Laval Rocket
- Quine Scores, Heat Offense Goes Cold in 4-1 Loss - Stockton Heat
- Colorado Staves off Late Rally to Top Gulls, 5-4 in OT - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Ottawa's 2021 23-Man Roster Includes Seven Belleville Graduates Plus Three More on Taxi Squad
- Colby Williams Signs One Year AHL Contract with the Belleville Senators
- Cole Reinhardt Earns Amateur Tryout with Belleville Senators
- LaBate Inks a New AHL Contract with the Belleville Senators
- Cole Cassels Rejoins Belleville Senators on One Year AHL Deal