Charlotte Independence v Charleston Battery: Match Preview
CHARLOTTE - The Charlotte Independence take on the Charleston Battery at the Sportsplex at Matthews on Saturday, August 8th at 7:00 p.m. ET and broadcast live on ESPN+. The meeting between the Southern Derby rivals marks the Jacks' first home match in 294 days.
"It's great for us to finally be back at the Sportsplex at Matthews," said Independence Manager Mike Jeffries. "We have three big games in a row at home that will be a good chance for us to be back in a comfortable setting and find ways to win."
For the first time this season, the Independence dropped points and failed to score in a 4-1 defeat on the road against Birmingham Legion FC Wednesday night. With four points in three games, Mike Jeffries' side currently sit in fourth place in the USL Championship Group G standings but have two games in hand on Legion FC.
In their last match, the Battery earned one point in a 1-1 draw against Atlanta United 2 Wednesday evening thanks to a late goal by midfielder Mauro Cichero. Michael Anhaeuser's side currently sit in second place in the Group H standings, four points behind leaders Tampa Bay Rowdies.
"Charleston is always very good competition," said Jeffries. "They are disciplined organized, and physical."
"They defend very well. This year, more so than in the past, they are more possession-oriented and have put together some nice runs."
"They have a couple of dynamic, attacking options with strength, size, and pace up top. It will be a big test for us and be better at handling pressure and breaking the defense down."
LAST TIME THEY MET: The Independence and Battery last faced off in the 2019 USL Championship season on Friday, August 30th at the Sportsplex at Matthews in Matthews, N.C. The two Southern Derby rivals finished the match tied, 0-0, with the Jacks providing the best chance of the game in the 25th minute when forward Enzo Martinez connected with midfielder Valentin Sabella for a left-footed shot that was tipped away by Battery goalkeeper Joe Kuzminsky.
LAST MATCH: The Independence dropped points for the first time this season in a 4-1 defeat to Birmingham Legion FC in USL Championship, Group G play at BBVA Compass Field. Neco Brett, Bruno Lapa and Brian Wright scored for the home side to give Birmingham a cushion atop Group G.
The Jacks capped the scoring - a well-taken penalty kick conversion by Martinez - in the 76th minute. The goal was the first of the campaign for Martinez.
The two Group G opponents will meet again in a week as the Independence host Legion FC on Wednesday, August 12th at the Sportsplex at Matthews.
2020 CHARLOTTE INDEPENDENCE USL CHAMPIONSHIP ROSTER BY POSITION
GOALKEEPERS: Lucas Hatsios, Brandon Miller, Austin Pack
DEFENDERS: Owen Barber, Clay Dimick, Shalom Dutey, Duke Lacroix, Aaron Maund, Dylan Mitchiner, Joel Johnson, Rey Ortiz, Hugh Roberts, Joey Skinner
MIDFIELDERS: Jake Areman, Junior Etou, Derek Gebhard, Kevan George, Luke Haakenson, Valentin Sabella, Oscar Ramsay
FORWARDS: Enzo Martinez, Tresor Mbuyu, Dane Kelly, Guido Valada
2020 CHARLESTON BATTERY USL CHAMPIONSHIP ROSTER BY POSITION
GOALKEEPERS: Phil Breno, Darian McCauley
DEFENDERS: Temi Adesodun, Leland Archer, Jay Bolt, Rennico Clarke, Logan Gdula, Deshawon Nembhard, Kyle Nelson, AJ Paterson, Jarad Van Schaik
MIDFIELDERS: Mauro Cichero, James Cox, Robbie Crawford, Angelo Kelly, Dante Marini, Kierron Mason, Romario Piggot, Nico Rittmyer
FORWARDS: Arthur Bosua, Nicque Daley, Jesus Ibarra, Zeiko Lewis, Stavros Zarokostas
- Six players have scored for the Independence in the 2020 USL Championship: Enzo Maetrinez, Derek Gebhard, Luke Haakenson, Dane Kelly, Valentin Sabella (1)
- Two players have recorded at least one assist for the Independence this year: Martinez, Jake Areman (1)
- Independence forward Dane Kelly reached 12,500 regular-season minutes in Wednesday's match against Birmingham Legion FC. The Jamaica native became the 14th player in USL Championship history to record at least 12,500 minutes.
- Independence defender Joel Johnson reached 10,000 regular-season minutes in Wednesday's match against Legion FC.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 7, 2020
- Austin Bold FC Add Local Youth Goalkeepers to 2020 USL Championship Roster - Austin Bold FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC V Rio Grande Valley FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence v Charleston Battery: Match Preview - Charlotte Independence
- Miami FC Suffer 3-0 Defeat at Home against Tampa Bay - Miami FC
- In Their Own Words: "I Trust the Players. I Trust the Quality We Have.Ã¢ÂÂ - Sacramento Republic FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Reno 1868 FC - August 8 - Tacoma Defiance
- PRFC Game Notes - Phoenix Rising FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC vs. Atlanta United 2 - Saturday, August 8 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Lights FC Matches to Air on Cox Communications' YurView Television - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: FC Tulsa Attempts to Extend Best-Ever Start in Franchise History - FC Tulsa
- Preview: RGV FC Head to the Capital City for a Showdown with Austin - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Orange County SC Rescheduled LA Galaxy II Game DateÃÂ announced - Orange County SC
- New Mexico United Relocates Another Home Match, Adds Local Broadcast - New Mexico United
- Boards for Change Auction Features 20 New Items - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United 2
- Marios Lomis Returns to North Carolina FC - North Carolina FC
- Preview: What to Watch for with Loucity vs. Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Independence Stories
- Charlotte Independence Continues 2021 Deposits
- Kelly and Miller Shortlisted for 2020 USL Championship Awards
- Dane Kelly and Brandon Miller Named to 2020 USL Championship All-League Second Team
- Independence Teamed up with Alianza de Futbol to Host Successful Distribution Event
- Independence to Help Host Alianza Contigo in Support of the Hispanic Community this Saturday