Captains Drop Second Straight to Dragons
(Dayton, OH) - The Lake County Captains (39-36) lost their second consecutive game to the Dayton Dragons (41-33) 4-1 on Thursday at Day Air Ballpark.
Dayton got on the scoreboard first in the bottom of the second inning. Victor Ruiz reached on an error at third base by Victor Nova to open the inning. A double by James Free sent Ruiz to third with nobody out, then an RBI groundout to second off the bat of Miguel Hernandez put the Dragons on top 1-0.
In the third inning the Dragons added another tally to go up 2-0. Three consecutive singles loaded the bases with nobody out. Garrett Wolforth grounded into a double play for the first two outs of the inning with the Captains trading two outs for a run as Reniel Ozuna came home for the only run of the inning.
A leadoff double by Free opened the fourth inning for the Dragons. The next batter Miguel Hernandez scorched a single up the middle. When
Quentin Holmes threw home, Hernandez went to second. Bryan Lavastida threw back to second trying to nab Hernandez. The throw skipped into center field and snuck under Holmes glove which allowed Free to score from third base. After a Juan Martinez single pushed Hernandez to thijrd, Quin Cotton produced a sacrifice fly to left field that drove in Hernandez to push Daytons lead to 4-0.
Lake County scratched across a run in the top of the eighth inning. Brayan Rocchio walked to lead off the inning. He moved to second base on a wild pitch with Lavastida at bat. After a Lavastida pop out, George Valera singled to right field to drive in Rocchio and make the score 4-1, Dayton.
JC Keys (3-0) picked up the win in a spot start for the Dragons. He worked five scoreless innings with three walks and four strikeouts.
Zach Draper (0-1) took the loss for the Captains. He allowed four runs, three earned on seven hits. Draper did not issue a walk and struck out two.
Ricky Karcher (4) earned the save with a scoreless ninth inning. He struck out the side in the ninth to end the game.
Daniel Espino gets the start for the Captains in game three of the six-game series in Dayton. First pitch on Thursday is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Day Air Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from July 29, 2021
- Chiefs Fall in Extras ThursdayÃÂ - Peoria Chiefs
- Helman Homers in Thursday Defeat - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Nuts Rally Past TinCaps, 6-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Whitecaps Cruise to 8-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Keys Tosses 5 Shutout Innings as Fill-In Starter in Dragons 4-1 Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Late Lansing Rally Snaps TinCaps Win Streak - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Drop Second Straight to Dragons - Lake County Captains
- Armenteros Placed on Temporarily Inactive List - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Information: July 29 at Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Hosting Frozen Pizza Throwdown on August 29 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons on TV Friday Through Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Huge 2-Out Rally in the 10th Wins It for SB - South Bend Cubs
- Cedar Rapids Blasts Past Wisconsin - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Camels Wallop Whitecaps with Big Inning - Great Lakes Loons
- Cedar Rapids Surges Past Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.