Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Thursday
Thursday, July 29, 2021 l Game # 74
Day Air Ballpark l Dayton, Ohio l 7:05 p.m.
Radio: 980 WONE Fox Sports
Lake County Captains (39-35) at Dayton Dragons (40-33)
LH Zach Draper (0-0, 4.50) vs. RH JC Keys (2-0, 6.19)
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Lake County Captains (affiliate of the Cleveland Indians) in the third game of a six-game series.
2021 Season Series: Lake County 5, Dayton 3. Current Series: Dayton 1, Lake County 1.
Last Game: Wednesday: Dayton 5, Lake County 3. Jacob Hurtubise delivered a tie-breaking two-run double in the bottom of the eighth inning to lift the Dragons to victory. Francisco Urbaez had tied the game one inning earlier on an RBI double before scoring on a wild pitch to give Dayton a brief lead. James Free had two doubles for Dayton. Hurbubise, Urbaez, Miguel Hernandez, and Garrett Wolforth also had two hits.
Season Highs from Last Game: Most Doubles and Most Extra Base Hits by an Individual: Free, 2 (matches team season high in both categories).
Current Series: The Dragons are 1-1 in the current series with Lake County. Dayton is batting .319 in the series and averaging 4.5 runs per game. The team ERA in the series is 5.00. The Dragons have committed four errors in the two games.
Trade: The Dragons saw starting pitcher Noah Davis depart on Wednesday after he was traded by the Cincinnati Reds to the Colorado Rockies organization and assigned to the Spokane Indians. Davis and another minor league pitcher, Case Williams, went to the Rockies organization in exchange for major league relief pitcher Mychal Givens. Davis is the first Dayton player to be traded during the season since the Reds sent pitcher Franderlyn Romero to the Orioles on May 24, 2016. The last players acquired in trades during the season and assigned to the Dragons were Aneurys Zabala, from the Dodgers, on July 4, 2018 and Lorenzo Cedrola, from Boston, two days earlier on July 2, 2018.
Playoff Race: The Dragons currently trail Cedar Rapids by one and one-half games in the race for the #2 seed in the 2021 post-season.
Francisco Urbaez has an active 34-game on-base streak. Urbaez ranks second in the league in both on-base percentage at .434 and batting average at .342. Urbaez is fifth in the league in OPS at .914. Urbaez is batting .364 over his last 47 games since May 29 to rank third in all of full-season Professional Baseball (150 teams; MLB and MiLB) over that time period.
Victor Ruiz is batting .326 with 11 doubles over his last 25 games to raise his average from .213 to .274.
Miguel Hernandez is batting .382 with 12 RBI over his last 15 games to raise his average from .241 to .275.
Jacob Hurtubise is batting .361 over his last 12 games.
Alex McGarry is batting .321 over his last nine games.
Quin Cotton is batting .400 over his last six games.
Juan Martinez is batting .400 over his last five games.
Garrett Wolforth has gone 5 for 14, .357, with two triples in three games since joining the Dragons.
BATTING: The Dragons current team batting average of .250 would surpass their full-season average in each of the last four years. They last topped that mark when they batted .251 in 2015.
July: The Dragons are batting .263 in the month of July to rank third in the league, but they rank 10th in runs per game at 4.21. They lead the league in runners left on base in July with 186. They have hit only seven home runs in July to rank 12th in the league (the #11 team has 17). Francisco Urbaez leads the team in batting in July at .379 with a 1.027 OPS. Victor Ruiz is hitting .303 in July. Quin Cotton is hitting .299...The team ERA in July is 5.34, 12th (last) in the league.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Fri., July 30 (7:08 p.m.): Lake County RH Daniel Espino (0-2, 6.00) at Dayton LH Jacques Pucheu (3-1. 4.20) TV: Dayton's CW (26)
Sat., July 31 (7:08 p.m.): Lake County RH Hunter Gaddis (2-6, 5.26) at Dayton RH Carson Spiers (3-1, 3.94) TV: Dayton's CW (26)
Sun., August 1 (2:08 p.m.): Lake County RH Mason Hickman (5-5, 5.01) at Dayton RH Lyon Richardson (2-4, 5.27) TV: Dayton's CW (26)
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from July 29, 2021
- Chiefs Fall in Extras ThursdayÃÂ - Peoria Chiefs
- Helman Homers in Thursday Defeat - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Nuts Rally Past TinCaps, 6-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Whitecaps Cruise to 8-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Keys Tosses 5 Shutout Innings as Fill-In Starter in Dragons 4-1 Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Late Lansing Rally Snaps TinCaps Win Streak - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Drop Second Straight to Dragons - Lake County Captains
- Armenteros Placed on Temporarily Inactive List - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Information: July 29 at Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Hosting Frozen Pizza Throwdown on August 29 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons on TV Friday Through Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Huge 2-Out Rally in the 10th Wins It for SB - South Bend Cubs
- Cedar Rapids Blasts Past Wisconsin - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Camels Wallop Whitecaps with Big Inning - Great Lakes Loons
- Cedar Rapids Surges Past Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons James Marinan Named League Pitcher of the Month for September
- 2021 Dragon Named Pitching Prospect of the Year; Former Dragons Prepare for MLB Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons 2021 Season Review (Team, Events, & Organization)
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday