Helman Homers in Thursday Defeat
GRAND CHUTE, Wis. - Michael Helman's ninth-inning home run was the only offense for the Cedar Rapids Kernels in a 4-1 loss Thursday evening to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. At the midpoint of this six-game series, Cedar Rapids (42-33) holds a 2-1 lead over Wisconsin (36-38).
The Timber Rattlers tallied an unearned run within the fifth for a 1-0 advantage. An errant throw on a potential inning-ending double play allowed Antonio Piñero to come home.
Wisconsin extended its lead to 4-0 during the eighth inning. Joe Gray Jr. and Je'Von Ward produced RBI singles, and LG Castillo drove in an additional run via force out.
Helman broke up the shutout during the final frame. He led off the ninth by blasting a solo shot to left-center field. The homer for Helman was his career-high 10th round-tripper this season.
Joey Matulovich (1-0) tossed five scoreless innings to earn the win during his High-A debut. Nash Walters followed with two shutout frames for his fourth hold. Harold Chirino yielded just one run over his two innings of work within his fourth save.
Tyler Watson (2-1) surrendered one unearned run over five innings pitched and was saddled with his first loss of the 2021 season.
Friday's first pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m., and Kernels right-hander Ben Gross (4-0, 2.41) will square off with Timber Rattlers right-hander Victor Castañeda (3-4, 3.54). Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will call the action from Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium on www.kernels.com.
Cedar Rapids hosts the Quad Cities River Bandits for its next homestand from August 3 through August 8. Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from July 29, 2021
- Chiefs Fall in Extras ThursdayÃÂ - Peoria Chiefs
- Helman Homers in Thursday Defeat - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Nuts Rally Past TinCaps, 6-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Whitecaps Cruise to 8-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Keys Tosses 5 Shutout Innings as Fill-In Starter in Dragons 4-1 Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Late Lansing Rally Snaps TinCaps Win Streak - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Drop Second Straight to Dragons - Lake County Captains
- Armenteros Placed on Temporarily Inactive List - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Information: July 29 at Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Hosting Frozen Pizza Throwdown on August 29 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons on TV Friday Through Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Huge 2-Out Rally in the 10th Wins It for SB - South Bend Cubs
- Cedar Rapids Blasts Past Wisconsin - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Camels Wallop Whitecaps with Big Inning - Great Lakes Loons
- Cedar Rapids Surges Past Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels Advance to the High-A Central Championship Series
- Kernels Remain Tied for #2 Seed
- Steven Cruz placed on 7-day IL & Ryan Shreve reinstated from 7-day IL
- Varland ties career-high 11 strikeouts, but Kernels fall
- Kernels Offense Shut Down in Series Opener in Peoria