'Caps Battle Hard, Drop 3-1 Result to St. Louis CITY SC
ââââST. LOUIS, MO - Vancouver Whitecaps FC battled hard but fell just short as they dropped a 3-1 result to expansion side St. Louis CITY SC on Saturday at CITYPARK in St. Louis, Missouri.
The home side had the first big chance of the match, as Nicholas Gioacchini's effort from close range was saved at the near post by 'Caps goalkeeper Thomas Hasal.
In the 10th minute of the match, St. Louis City SC were given a free kick opportunity. Midfielder Eduard Löwen's effort from distance curled its way into the top right corner of the net to give the home side a 1-0 lead.
Six minutes later, the 'Caps conjured up a quick passing sequence in the hopes of getting their equalizer. After Pedro Vite won the ball back and played quick one-two with Julian Gressel, Simon Becher played in the U.S. international on goal but his shot towards the far post was blocked by St. Louis centre back Tim Parker.
St. Louis would double their lead right before the halftime interval via an own goal. The 'Caps continued to push for a goal and came close via substitute Brian White, who got on the end of a cross from Gressel and directed his header just wide of the target.
Fast forward to the 73rd minute, Ryan Gauld got on the end of a loose ball and unleashed a left-footed strike towards goal, forcing a save from St. Louis goalkeeper Roman Bürki.
Moments later, the Blue and White had another chance from a corner kick. Gressel whipped an inswinger into Ranko Veselinović, who's header went just wide of the far post and out of the reach of a stretching Brian White.
The 'Caps made their pressure count, as Gressel whipped a cross into the box for White, heading his effort past Bürki to score his seventh goal of the season across all competitions and giving Vancouver some life.
In the fourth minute of stoppage time, substitute Miguel Perez grabbed St. Louis' third goal of the match from close range.
The 'Caps now return home for a four-game homestand at BC Place, starting with a Western Conference clash against Houston Dynamo FC on Wednesday, May 31. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. PT. Tickets are available at www.whitecapsfc.com/tickets/.
Referee: Sergii Boiko
10' - STL - Eduard Löwen
45' - STL - Tristan Blackmon (own goal)
83' - VAN - Brian White (Julian Gressel)
90+4' - STL - Miguel Perez
Possession: STL 38.4% - VAN 61.6%
Shots: STL 15 - VAN 12
Shots on Goal: STL 6 - VAN 2
Saves: STL 1 - VAN 4
Fouls: STL 11 - VAN 12
Offsides: STL 2 - VAN 3
Corners: STL 7 - VAN 5
20' - STL - Jake Nerwinski
22' - STL - Tim Parker
60' - STL - Jared Stroud
90+3' - VAN - Julian Gressel
90+3' - VAN - Ryan Gauld
St. Louis City SC
1.Roman Bürki ©; 2.Jake Nerwinski (14.John Nelson 63'), 24.Lucas Bartlett, 26.Tim Parker, 22.Kyle Hiebert; 6.Njabulo Blom, 10.Eduard Löwen; 8.Jared Stroud (7.Tomás Ostrák 72'), 19.Indiana Vassilev (23.Jonathan Bell 90+2'), 12.Célio Pompeu (28.Miguel Perez 72'); 11.Nicholas Gioacchini (25.Aziel Jackson 90+3')
Substitutes not used
39.Ben Lundt, 15.Joshua Yaro, 20.Akil Watts, 30.Isak Jensen
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
1.Thomas Hasal; 23.Javain Brown (9.Sergio Córdova 65'), 4.Ranko Veselinović, 6.Tristan Blackmon, 14.Luís Martins; 19.Julian Gressel, 16.Sebastian Berhalter (7.Déiber Caicedo 57'), 8.Alessandro Schöpf (28.Levonte Johnson 85'); 45.Pedro Vite (20.Andrés Cubas 65'), 25.Ryan Gauld ©; 29.Simon Becher (24.Brian White 57')
Substitutes not used
18.Yohei Takaoka, 2.Mathías Laborda, 27.Ryan Raposo
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 27, 2023
- Revolution Rally to 3-3 Draw with Chicago Fire FC in Thriller at Gillette Stadium - New England Revolution
- Full Time: Charlotte FC Take All Three Points from LA Galaxy - Charlotte FC
- Badji Nets Lone Goal in Colorado Return, FC Cincinnati Shuts Out Rapids 1-0 - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Extends Streak to Four-Games Unbeaten with Draw Against Atlanta - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Plays to 1-1 Draw at Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- St. Louis CITY SC Defeats Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3-1 - St. Louis City SC
- 'Caps Battle Hard, Drop 3-1 Result to St. Louis CITY SC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Minnesota United and Real Salt Lake Share the Points After 1-1 Draw - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Earn Their Fifth Victory of the Season at Shell Energy Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Austin FC Falls to Houston Dynamo 2-1 - Austin FC
- CF Montréal Edges Inter Miami CF 1-0 - Club de Foot Montreal
- Real Salt Lake Earns 1-1 Draw at Minnesota - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF Falls to CF Montréal on the Road - Inter Miami CF
- NYCFC Falls to Philadelphia Union - New York City FC
- Carranza Scores Brace; Union Unbeaten in Seven MLS Matches - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire FC Ties New England Revolution 3-3 at Gillette Stadium - Chicago Fire FC
- Starting XI: CF Montréal vs. Inter Miami CF - Inter Miami CF
- GEODIS Preview: Nashville SC Returns to GEODIS Park to Host Columbus Crew in League Action - Nashville SC
- REMINDER: Earthquakes Host FC Dallas Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Hosts New York Red Bulls Saturday Night at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Play Host to Charlotte FC at Dignity Health Sports Park Tonight, Saturday, May 27 - LA Galaxy
- Preview: Rapids Host FC Cincinnati for First Time Since 2019 - Colorado Rapids
- Injury Report: Two Absent vs. Philadelphia Union - New York City FC
- Coke Canada Bottling Becomes an Official Partner of CF Montréal - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Hernandez Gray Earns First Call-Up to Canada WNT from Girls Elite Academy
- Whitecaps FC Roster Updates from First Team and WFC2
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Announce 2024 Roster Updates
- Tough Call Leaves Tight Tilt Right To The Final Whistle
- Whitecaps FC Announce Winners for 2023 Player Awards