Atlanta United Plays to 1-1 Draw at Orlando City SC
ATLANTA - Atlanta United played Orlando City SC to a 1-1 draw at Exploria Stadium Saturday night. Tyler Wolff scored his second goal of the season and Brad Guzan returned to the starting lineup seven weeks after suffering a sprained MCL against New York City FC on April 8 to record four saves.
Orlando opened the scoring in the 30th minute through Kyle Smith. Ivan Angulo dribbled the ball into the left side of the box before cutting it back to Mauricio Pereyra, who played a pass towards the penalty spot that reached Facundo Torres. His shot was blocked, however the rebound fell to Smith on the right side of the six-yard box and the defender struck a low shot past Guzan.
With the game hanging in the balance, Guzan made a crucial stop, his fourth save of the match, in the 78th minute with a diving save to his right to deny substitute Martín Ojeda's long-range effort.
Atlanta continued to push for the equalizer in the second half and had a chance in the 79th minute. Thiago Almada picked up the ball near midfield and played a long pass into the right side of the box to Miguel Berry who's right-footed shot went just past the far post.
Seven minutes later, Atlanta found the leveling goal from Wolff. Off an Atlanta corner kick, the ball rolled to Matheus Rossetto who forced a diving save from Pedro Gallese with a shot from the edge of the box. The rebound fell to Wolff, where the Homegrown calmly placed his left-footed finish into the roof of the net for his second goal of the season.
Atlanta had opportunities to score the game-winning goal with the best chance coming in second-half stoppage time as Almada played Machop Chol into space. The winger took a touch but fired a right-footed shot over the goal.
Atlanta United (6-4-5, 23 points) returns to action when it hosts New England Revolution on Wednesday, May 31 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (7 p.m., MLS Season Pass/FS1, 92.9 The Game, La Mejor). All Atlanta United matches are available with an MLS Season Pass subscription, located on the Apple TV app.
Images from this story
Atlanta United FC's Brooks Lennon and Matheus Rossetto in action
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 27, 2023
- Revolution Rally to 3-3 Draw with Chicago Fire FC in Thriller at Gillette Stadium - New England Revolution
- Full Time: Charlotte FC Take All Three Points from LA Galaxy - Charlotte FC
- Badji Nets Lone Goal in Colorado Return, FC Cincinnati Shuts Out Rapids 1-0 - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Extends Streak to Four-Games Unbeaten with Draw Against Atlanta - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Plays to 1-1 Draw at Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- St. Louis CITY SC Defeats Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3-1 - St. Louis City SC
- 'Caps Battle Hard, Drop 3-1 Result to St. Louis CITY SC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Minnesota United and Real Salt Lake Share the Points After 1-1 Draw - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Earn Their Fifth Victory of the Season at Shell Energy Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Austin FC Falls to Houston Dynamo 2-1 - Austin FC
- CF Montréal Edges Inter Miami CF 1-0 - Club de Foot Montreal
- Real Salt Lake Earns 1-1 Draw at Minnesota - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF Falls to CF Montréal on the Road - Inter Miami CF
- NYCFC Falls to Philadelphia Union - New York City FC
- Carranza Scores Brace; Union Unbeaten in Seven MLS Matches - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire FC Ties New England Revolution 3-3 at Gillette Stadium - Chicago Fire FC
- Starting XI: CF Montréal vs. Inter Miami CF - Inter Miami CF
- GEODIS Preview: Nashville SC Returns to GEODIS Park to Host Columbus Crew in League Action - Nashville SC
- REMINDER: Earthquakes Host FC Dallas Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Hosts New York Red Bulls Saturday Night at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Play Host to Charlotte FC at Dignity Health Sports Park Tonight, Saturday, May 27 - LA Galaxy
- Preview: Rapids Host FC Cincinnati for First Time Since 2019 - Colorado Rapids
- Injury Report: Two Absent vs. Philadelphia Union - New York City FC
- Coke Canada Bottling Becomes an Official Partner of CF Montréal - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Efraín Morales
- Thiago Almada, Giorgos Giakoumakis Named to 2023 MLS Best XI Presented by Continental Tire
- Atlanta United Announces Year-End Roster Moves
- Four Atlanta United Players Receive National Team Call-Ups for November FIFA Window
- Atlanta United's Playoff Run Comes to an End, Falls 4-2 to Columbus Crew