Inter Miami CF Falls to CF Montréal on the Road
Drake Callender started in goal; captain DeAndre Yedlin, Sergii Kryvtsov, Kamal Miller and Negri lined up in defense; Dixon Arroyo and Ian Fray anchored the midfield with Corentin Jean, Benjamin Cremaschi, Robert Taylor in front of them; Leonardo Campana led the line in attack.
Fray marked his first MLS start just days after registering his first Inter Miami First Team start in the midweek U.S. Open Cup win over Nashville SC. Miller returned to face his former team in Montreal as a starter, while former Inter Miami midfielder Bryce Duke started for CF Montréal.
Inter Miami grew into the first half, gathering momentum as the match progressed through its first 45 minutes. The team's best chances of the half came after the half hour mark, including efforts from Campana and Taylor.
Notably, in the 32nd minute, Campana shielded his defender and ran onto a long ball, played a pass to Taylor out wide and continued his run into the box. The Finnish winger played a pass back to Campana in the box, but his first-time effort was saved. Minutes later, the duo combined again at the top of the box with a clever one-two, but Taylor's shot drifted just wide of the far post. Despite the efforts, the match went into the break scoreless.
Montreal then opened the scoring in the second half when a low cross from the left wing came in to Chinonso Offor sliding in front of goal, who connected to make it 1-0.
In response, Inter Miami turned up the pressure, creating several chances throughout the remainder of the match. Shots from Kryvtsov, Negri, and Stefanelli tested the Montreal goal, drawing saves or clearances from defenders. Then, in the 92nd minute, the team came closest to scoring when Cremaschi struck a ball from near the endline that hit the post and then was cleared out to Stefanelli just inside the box, but his volleyed effort at goal was cleared by a defender.
Inter Miami finished the match with 58% possession and 13 shots, including five on target compared to two for Montreal, but the 1-0 scoreline held in favor of the hosts.
"It's a game we should be winning with the chances we created, the moments that we had," said head coach Phil Neville. "We have four games coming up in the next seven to 12 days so everyone has to be ready."
Next Inter Miami will return home for a midweek match at DRV PNK Stadium next Wednesday when it faces the New York Red Bulls.
MTL - 41.7%
MIA - 58.3%
MTL - 14
MIA - 13
MTL - 5
MIA - 1
MTL - 2
MIA - 4
MTL - 11
MIA - 12
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 27, 2023
- Revolution Rally to 3-3 Draw with Chicago Fire FC in Thriller at Gillette Stadium - New England Revolution
- Full Time: Charlotte FC Take All Three Points from LA Galaxy - Charlotte FC
- Badji Nets Lone Goal in Colorado Return, FC Cincinnati Shuts Out Rapids 1-0 - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Extends Streak to Four-Games Unbeaten with Draw Against Atlanta - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Plays to 1-1 Draw at Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- St. Louis CITY SC Defeats Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3-1 - St. Louis City SC
- 'Caps Battle Hard, Drop 3-1 Result to St. Louis CITY SC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Minnesota United and Real Salt Lake Share the Points After 1-1 Draw - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Earn Their Fifth Victory of the Season at Shell Energy Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Austin FC Falls to Houston Dynamo 2-1 - Austin FC
- CF Montréal Edges Inter Miami CF 1-0 - Club de Foot Montreal
- Real Salt Lake Earns 1-1 Draw at Minnesota - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF Falls to CF Montréal on the Road - Inter Miami CF
- NYCFC Falls to Philadelphia Union - New York City FC
- Carranza Scores Brace; Union Unbeaten in Seven MLS Matches - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire FC Ties New England Revolution 3-3 at Gillette Stadium - Chicago Fire FC
- Starting XI: CF Montréal vs. Inter Miami CF - Inter Miami CF
- GEODIS Preview: Nashville SC Returns to GEODIS Park to Host Columbus Crew in League Action - Nashville SC
- REMINDER: Earthquakes Host FC Dallas Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Hosts New York Red Bulls Saturday Night at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Play Host to Charlotte FC at Dignity Health Sports Park Tonight, Saturday, May 27 - LA Galaxy
- Preview: Rapids Host FC Cincinnati for First Time Since 2019 - Colorado Rapids
- Injury Report: Two Absent vs. Philadelphia Union - New York City FC
- Coke Canada Bottling Becomes an Official Partner of CF Montréal - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF to Face El Salvador National Team During 2024 Preseason
- Inter Miami CF Sells out of 2024 Season Tickets; Club Announces Single-Match Ticket Presale Details for Limited Remaining Match Tickets
- Inter Miami CF Is Set to Host Third Annual Battle of the Artists Presented by Heinken Silver this Saturday
- Inter Miami CF in Action During November International Window
- U.S. Women's National Team Announces Roster Featuring Stars and New Faces for DRV PNK Stadium Match against China PR