Boyce Named Marlies Specialty/AHL Man of the Year
The Toronto Marlies are proud to announce that forward Darryl Boyce has been named the team's winner of the American Specialty/AHL Man of the Year award for his outstanding contributions to the Toronto community during the 2008-09 season.
In addition to Boyce's contributions on the ice, he donated his time on numerous occasions to have a positive impact in the community. This season he's made over 20 charitable appearances and also dyed his hair pink for the Mary Kay Ash Charitable Foundation to raise awareness for women's cancer and domestic abuse. He held hockey clinics to teach coaches about the mental and physical preparations for young hockey players. Boyce was also heavily involved in the Toronto Marlies anti-bullying assemblies. This community initiative sees him speak at various schools throughout the GTA.
In recognition of his efforts, Boyce will be presented with an etched crystal trophy during an on-ice presentation prior to an upcoming Marlies home game.
Boyce is now one of 29 finalists for the AHL's 2008-09 Yanick Dupre Memorial Award, honoring the overall American Specialty/AHL Man of the Year. The league award is named after the former Hershey Bears forward and AHL All-Star who died in 1997 following a 16-month battle with leukemia. The winner of the Yanick Dupre Memorial Award will be announced by the American Hockey League in the coming weeks.
The Marlies make their final road trip of the season when they take on the Manitoba Moose - AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks - on Friday and Saturday night at the MTS Centre. Toronto returns home on Wednesday, April 8 to take on the Rochester Americans - AHL affiliate of the Florida Panthers - at 7:00 p.m. at Ricoh Coliseum. For ticket information, including season ticket packages and group seats, visit www.torontomarlies.com or call the team's ticket line at 416-597-PUCK.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2009
- Griffins And Bulldogs In Fight To The Finish - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Amerks Enter Final Month Of Season This Weekend - Rochester Americans
- River Rats Officially Eliminated From 2009 Playoff Race - Albany River Rats
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues March 31 at Zebb's Deluxe Grill and Bar - Syracuse Crunch
- Tabulating The Votes At Awards Season - AHL
- Boyce Named Marlies Specialty/AHL Man of the Year - Toronto Marlies
- Hamilton Hosts Grand Rapids This Weekend - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Pirates Continue Push Toward Playoffs - Portland Pirates
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Sound Tigers To Play Opening Games Of Calder Cup Playoffs On Long Island - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Three big wins propel Sharks into 4th place in Atlantic - Worcester Sharks
- Khudobin reassigned to Aeros, Henderson released - Houston Aeros
- Lowell Closes Gap For Spot in Postseason - Albany Devils
- Oilers Recall Defenseman Taylor Chorney - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage Recall Perry from Arizona - San Antonio Rampage
- San Jose Sharks sign Nick Petrecki and Joe Loprieno - Worcester Sharks
- MVP Health Care Player Magnet Series Giveaway Continues April 3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Schneider named RBK/AHL Player of the Week - Manitoba Moose
- Moose's Schneider named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Santorelli Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Slow Work Week For The Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hog Talk Returns Tonight At Cousin's Bar And Grill - Rockford IceHogs
- Rockford Takes Three Of Five To Keep Pace In The West - Rockford IceHogs
- Ottawa Reassigns Center Jim O'Brien to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman David Stich to ATO - Connecticut Whale
- Wolf Pack Return Goaltender Maxime Daigneault to Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Playoff Tickets On Sale - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Capture West Division Crown - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Make History In Week 25 - Manitoba Moose
- Suspended Rampage Game to be Completed April 6th - San Antonio Rampage
- Suspended AHL game to be completed April 6 - AHL
- Monsters Game To Be Completed April 6th At Hoover Arena - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.