Wolves Weekly Notes
FIGHT TO THE FINISH
Chicago shares fifth-place in the West Division with 77 points (36-33-3-2) through 74 games, three points behind the Rockford IceHogs for the fourth and final playoff spot; the Wolves are tied with the Iowa Chops, and hold a two-point advantage on seventh-place Quad City.
--- SPENCER MACHACEK: Posted nine points (4G, 5A) during a six-game point streak from March 13 to March 28 ... Ranks second on the Wolves and is tied for third among league rookies with 23 markers in 71 matchups this year ... Ranks second on Chicago and shares 10th among league rookies with 47 points and leads the team ranks first among AHL first year pros with 13 power-play markers
--- BRETT SKINNER: Matched a season-high two points (G, A) and registered his ninth multiple-point game of the season on Sunday ... Ranks fourth on Chicago and 15th among league blueliners with 35 points in 56 outings this season ... Ranks first on the Wolves with 31 assists, 24 of which have come while on the power play ... Tallied 23 points (3G, 20A) in 32 games with the Wolves since being acquired in a trade on Jan. 13 and 12 points (G, 11A) in 24 contests with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers
--- BRETT STERLING: Matched a season-high two assists on Saturday and has collected seven points (2G, 5A) in his last six outings ... Holds fourth on Chicago with 16 markers and fifth with 34 points despite appearing in just 46 of the team's 74 outings this year ... Tied for first on the team with three game-winning tallies and shares fourth with six power-play strikes
--- JOEY CRABB: Collected two points (G, A) in the last two games and has bagged three goals in his last five matchups ... Ranks fifth on the team with 15 goals this season and seventh with 29 points, despite appearing in only 41 matchups with the Wolves this season ... Holds third on the team with a +14 plus/minus rating
--- Sunday's game against Milwaukee was the first time in four outings Chicago has not played past regulation; the Wolves have played past regulation 16 times this season (3-10-3) and rank third in the league with an .844 winning percentage in extra time.
--- The Wolves have potted a power-play goal in seven straight games, one shy of matching a season-high; Chicago has bagged 11 man-advantage markers during that span (11 of 46) and ranks 23rd in the league with a 15.6 percent efficiency rating on the man-advantage (64 of 409).
--- The Wolves were perfect on the penalty kill for the 28th time this season against Quad City on Saturday (three for three); Chicago has posted a 17-7-2-2 mark when blanking the opposition on the man-advantage and hold 21st in the league with an 81.9 percent efficiency rating on the penalty kill (307 of 375).
--- Chicago will play five of its six remaining games against West Division opponents; the Wolves have posted a .519 winning percentage against West Division foes this season (26-24-2-1).
--- Goaltender ONDREJ PAVELEC surrendered two markers on Saturday, the 22nd time he has allowed two or fewer goals this season; the 21-year-old netminder has accrued a 18-18-2 record, a 2.58 goals-against average and .913 save percentage in 38 matchups this season, which includes backstopping 17 of the Wolves last 18 contests.
THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
--- The Wolves being a three-game road trip with a matchup against the Peoria Rivermen on Wednesday; Chicago has just played one road tilt in its last nine games and will play away from home in four of its six remaining contests; the club has posted a 15-18-3-0 mark on the road this year.
WOLVES REWIND (1-1-1-0)
Sun., March 29
Milwaukee 5, (at) Chicago 2
--- The Wolves fell victim to a hat trick from center Mike Santorelli and couldn't respond, suffering a 5-2 loss to the Milwaukee Admirals at the Allstate Arena Sunday night
--- Defenseman BRETT SKINNER and right wing JOE MOTZKO posted goals for Chicago
--- Goaltender ONDREJ PAVELEC turned aside 24 of 28 shots
Sat., March 28
(at) Chicago 3, Quad City 2 (SO)
--- The Wolves went to extra time for the third straight game, coming away with a 3-2 shootout win over Quad City before 13,417 fans at the Allstate Arena Saturday night
--- Center MATT ANDERSON and right wing JOEY CRABB scored in regulation, while JOE MOTZKO (2G) and BRETT SKINNER tallied in the shootout
--- Goaltender ONDREJ PAVELEC made 29 saves in regulation and overtime, and stopped six attempts in the shootout
Wed., March 25
(at) Quad City 5, Chicago 4 (OT)
--- The Wolves held a 4-3 lead with 1:56 left in regulation, before surrendering two straight goals on the way to a 5-4 overtime loss to Quad City at I Wireless Center Wednesday night
--- Forwards MATT ANDERSON, RILEY HOLZAPFEL, SPENCER MACHACEK and STEVE MARTINS scored for Chicago
--- Goaltender ONDREJ PAVELEC faced a season-high 47 shots and posted 42 saves
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2009
- Griffins And Bulldogs In Fight To The Finish - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Amerks Enter Final Month Of Season This Weekend - Rochester Americans
- River Rats Officially Eliminated From 2009 Playoff Race - Albany River Rats
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues March 31 at Zebb's Deluxe Grill and Bar - Syracuse Crunch
- Tabulating The Votes At Awards Season - AHL
- Boyce Named Marlies Specialty/AHL Man of the Year - Toronto Marlies
- Hamilton Hosts Grand Rapids This Weekend - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Pirates Continue Push Toward Playoffs - Portland Pirates
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Sound Tigers To Play Opening Games Of Calder Cup Playoffs On Long Island - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Three big wins propel Sharks into 4th place in Atlantic - Worcester Sharks
- Khudobin reassigned to Aeros, Henderson released - Houston Aeros
- Lowell Closes Gap For Spot in Postseason - Albany Devils
- Oilers Recall Defenseman Taylor Chorney - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage Recall Perry from Arizona - San Antonio Rampage
- San Jose Sharks sign Nick Petrecki and Joe Loprieno - Worcester Sharks
- MVP Health Care Player Magnet Series Giveaway Continues April 3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Schneider named RBK/AHL Player of the Week - Manitoba Moose
- Moose's Schneider named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Santorelli Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Slow Work Week For The Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hog Talk Returns Tonight At Cousin's Bar And Grill - Rockford IceHogs
- Rockford Takes Three Of Five To Keep Pace In The West - Rockford IceHogs
- Ottawa Reassigns Center Jim O'Brien to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman David Stich to ATO - Connecticut Whale
- Wolf Pack Return Goaltender Maxime Daigneault to Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Playoff Tickets On Sale - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Capture West Division Crown - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Make History In Week 25 - Manitoba Moose
- Suspended Rampage Game to be Completed April 6th - San Antonio Rampage
- Suspended AHL game to be completed April 6 - AHL
- Monsters Game To Be Completed April 6th At Hoover Arena - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.