Hamilton Hosts Grand Rapids This Weekend
The Hamilton Bulldogs (American Hockey League affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens) will host the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings) in two match-ups this weekend on Friday, April 3 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, April 4 at 7:00 p.m.
The Bulldogs went 1-1-1-0 this past week, bringing their record to 44-27-4-0. The 'Dogs defeated the San Antonio Rampage 6-1 at Copps Coliseum on Tuesday, March 24. On Friday, March 27, the Bulldogs competed against the Manitoba Moose in the first of two match-ups at the MTS Centre last weekend, and came up short in a 2-1 overtime loss. The loss gave the Bulldogs a point which clinched a spot for the club in the 2009 Calder Cup Playoffs. Hamilton faced off against Manitoba for the second time on Sunday, March 29 and was defeated 3-2.
WEEK IN REVIEW:
Tuesday, March 24 - HAMILTON BULLDOGS 6 @ SAN ANTONIO 1
Copps Coliseum - Hamilton, ON
Hamilton Goals: Ben Maxwell (18), Ben Maxwell (19), Ryan Russell (16), Ben Maxwell (20), Max Pacioretty (6), J.T. Wyman (6)
San Antonio Goals: Brett MacLean (19)
Goaltending: Hamilton - Marc Denis (W - 42 shots, 41 saves) / San Antonio - Karl Goehring (L - 28 shots, 22 saves)
Power Play: Hamilton 1-5 / San Antonio 1-6
Friday, March 27 - HAMILTON BULLDOGS 1 @ MANITOBA MOOSE 2 (OT)
MTS Centre - Winnipeg, MB
Hamilton Goals: Ryan Russell (17)
Manitoba Goals: Jason Krog (28), Nolan Baumgartner (10)
Goaltending: Hamilton - Marc Denis (L - 20 shots, 18 saves) / Manitoba - Cory Schneider (W - 36 shots, 35 saves)
Power Play: Hamilton 0-4 / Manitoba 1-5
Sunday, March 29 - HAMILTON BULLDOGS 2 @ MANITOBA MOOSE 3
MTS Centre - Winnipeg, MB
Hamilton Goals: Brock Trotter (15), Ben Maxwell (21)
Manitoba Goals: Jason Krog (29), Travis Ramsey (2), Jason Jaffray (22)
Goaltending: Hamilton - Marc Denis (L - 25 shots, 22 saves) / Manitoba - Cory Schneider (W - 46 shots, 44 saves)
Power Play: Hamilton 1-5 / Manitoba 1-3
- Hamilton Bulldogs proudly announced on March 26th that forward Ben Maxwell has been named the team's winner of the American Specialty/AHL Man of the Year award for his outstanding contributions to the Hamilton community during the 2008-2009 season
- D Dan Jancevski became the all-time leader in points by a Bulldogs defenceman when he earned his 85th point (14 goals, 71 assists) in Tuesday's 6-1 win over San Antonio, passing Ron Hainsey.
- The Bulldogs clinched a playoff spot by earning a point in Friday's 2-1 overtime loss to Manitoba. Hamilton will return to the Calder Cup Playoffs for the first time since winning the 2007 Calder Cup.
FRIDAY, APRIL 3 - GRAND RAPIDS GRIFFINS @ HAMILTON BULLDOGS - 7:30 P.M. - COPPS COLISEUM
SATURDAY, APRIL 4 - GRAND RAPIDS GRIFFINS @ HAMILTON BULLDOGS - 7:00 P.M. - COPPS COLISEUM
- This weekend's games mark the fourth and fifth of six games between the teams this season
- Grand Rapids is currently second in the North Division with a record of 42-21-6-6
- Hamilton is 22-14-1-2-4 in 43 all-time games against Grand Rapids
- So far this season the 'Dogs are 1-2-0-0 against the Griffins
- RW Darren Haydar is leading the Griffins with 75 points (29 goals, 46 assists) in 74 games
- There are currently six Ontario natives on Grand Rapids roster: C Cory Emmerton (St. Thomas), C Evan McGrath (Oakville), LW Ryan Oulahen (Newmarket), RW Darren Haydar (Toronto), RW Jamie Tardiff (Welland) and RW Aaron Downey (Shelburne)
There are currently over 40 former Bulldogs in the NHL at this time. Over 60 percent of the players on Hamilton's all-time roster have played in a minimum of one NHL game. Three former Bulldogs head or assistant coaches (Doug Jarvis, Claude Julien, and Geoff Ward) are currently in a coaching capacity in the NHL. Here are a few highlights and accomplishments of ex-'Dogs from this past week:
- Toronto C Mikhail Grabovski added five assists this week, picking up two in a 3-2 shootout win over Washington (Mar. 24), one in a 5-3 loss to Buffalo (Mar. 27), and two more in a 7-5 defeat to Boston (Mar. 28)
- Dallas C Mike Ribeiro earned two points with a goal and an assist in a 6-3 loss to Florida (Mar. 28)
- Montreal LW Christopher Higgins added two points, earning a helper in a 6-3 win over Atlanta (Mar. 24), and a marker in a 4-3 shootout defeat to Buffalo (Mar. 28)
- Edmonton C Shawn Horcoff picked up three assists last week, with one in each match-up against Phoenix (Mar. 26), Anaheim (Mar. 27), and Minnesota (Mar. 28)
TUNE IN TO Every Game on the Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Network AND CABLE 14:
Fans can listen to every 'Dogs game this season on the flagship station of the Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Network, 'TALK 820'. Fans can also listen or watch at www.hamiltonbulldogs.com by clicking on the 'AHL Live' or 'TALK 820' icon on the Bulldogs website. All regular-season radio and online broadcasts will begin with a pre-game show 30 minutes prior to each scheduled game-time. Ellery Award-winning broadcaster Derek Wills calls the play-by-play of all 80 regular season games, while Al Craig provides the colour commentary for all home games and select road games.
In addition Cable 14 will air live broadcasts 12 of club's 39 home games at Copps Coliseum. In a joint venture with Mohawk College, Cable 14 will also broadcast the 27 Hamilton Bulldogs' home games not being shown live in their entirety as 'Dogs-in-an-Hour at 11:00 p.m. on the night of the game.
Cable 14 will also carry Rogers Television's live coverage of five Hamilton Bulldogs versus Toronto Marlies games at Ricoh Coliseum.
For a full listing of all the games broadcast on Cable 14 follow this link: http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/page/broadcast_1019#Live%20Broadcast%20Schedule
GET YOUR TICKETS!:
Hamilton Bulldogs season tickets, flex tickets, mini pack tickets, group tickets and individual tickets are now on sale! Individual game tickets are available at the Copps Coliseum Box Office (in-person sales only), all Ticketmaster outlets and online at ticketmaster.ca. For information on season tickets, flex tickets, mini pack tickets and group tickets visit www.hamiltonbulldogs.com, or call (905) 529-8500 or 1-866-DOGS-TIX.
GET YOUR BULLDOGS MERCHANDISE AT THE "DAWG HOUSE":
Fans can purchase Bulldogs merchandise during all home games at the "Dawg House" store located behind section 114 on the concourse level at Copps Coliseum.
In the store, fans can find hats, t-shirts, jackets, replica jerseys, foam fingers, foam 'Bone Heads', and other select novelty items for sale.
Brock Trotter was named as the Community Player of the Month for February. Throughout February, Brock took part in various promotions on behalf of The Bulldogs Foundation. He showed his dedication to the community not only during February, but also throughout the entire season visiting various schools and hospitals.
Ryan White and Brock Trotter visited the Meadowlands LCBO for a PMA/Appletons Jamaica Rum promotion on Saturday, February 7th. Cedrick Desjardins and David Desharnais visited the Millcroft LCBO for a PMA/Appletons Jamaica Rum promotion on Saturday, February 7th.
HAMILTON BULLDOGS SCHEDULE THIS WEEK:
Friday, April 3 - 7:30 p.m. - Grand Rapids Griffins at Hamilton Bulldogs (Copps Coliseum)
Saturday, April 4 - 7:00 p.m. - Grand Rapids Griffins at Hamilton Bulldogs (Copps Coliseum)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2009
- Griffins And Bulldogs In Fight To The Finish - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Amerks Enter Final Month Of Season This Weekend - Rochester Americans
- River Rats Officially Eliminated From 2009 Playoff Race - Albany River Rats
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues March 31 at Zebb's Deluxe Grill and Bar - Syracuse Crunch
- Tabulating The Votes At Awards Season - AHL
- Boyce Named Marlies Specialty/AHL Man of the Year - Toronto Marlies
- Hamilton Hosts Grand Rapids This Weekend - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Pirates Continue Push Toward Playoffs - Portland Pirates
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Sound Tigers To Play Opening Games Of Calder Cup Playoffs On Long Island - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Three big wins propel Sharks into 4th place in Atlantic - Worcester Sharks
- Khudobin reassigned to Aeros, Henderson released - Houston Aeros
- Lowell Closes Gap For Spot in Postseason - Albany Devils
- Oilers Recall Defenseman Taylor Chorney - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage Recall Perry from Arizona - San Antonio Rampage
- San Jose Sharks sign Nick Petrecki and Joe Loprieno - Worcester Sharks
- MVP Health Care Player Magnet Series Giveaway Continues April 3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Schneider named RBK/AHL Player of the Week - Manitoba Moose
- Moose's Schneider named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Santorelli Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Slow Work Week For The Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hog Talk Returns Tonight At Cousin's Bar And Grill - Rockford IceHogs
- Rockford Takes Three Of Five To Keep Pace In The West - Rockford IceHogs
- Ottawa Reassigns Center Jim O'Brien to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman David Stich to ATO - Connecticut Whale
- Wolf Pack Return Goaltender Maxime Daigneault to Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Playoff Tickets On Sale - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Capture West Division Crown - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Make History In Week 25 - Manitoba Moose
- Suspended Rampage Game to be Completed April 6th - San Antonio Rampage
- Suspended AHL game to be completed April 6 - AHL
- Monsters Game To Be Completed April 6th At Hoover Arena - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.