Bowker, Sosa Lead Grizzlies over Beavers
Portland, Ore. - John Bowker went 3-for-5 with a home run and Henry Sosa pitched seven strong innings as the Fresno Grizzlies beat the Portland Beavers 6-2 Thursday night at PGE Park.
Bowker finished with two RBIs and scored twice for the Grizzlies (46-29), while Matt Downs collected two hits and two RBIs before being ejected in the fifth inning.
Sosa (5-1) took a shutout into the seventh inning before surrendering two, two-out RBI hits. Sosa, who hadn't pitched past the fifth inning this season, gave up two runs on seven hits and one walk in seven innings to earn the win.
Radhames Liz (4-3) pitched five innings, giving up five runs on a season high nine hits in his second-straight loss for the Beavers (29-45).
Craig Cooper finished with two hits, while Mitch Canham and Luis Durango each drove in one run as the Beavers finished with seven hits.
The Grizzlies jumped out to an early 2-0 lead with a four-hit first inning. Bowker doubled in the first run of the game and Downs followed with an RBI single to build an early two-run lead.
Fresno extended its lead to 3-0 in the third inning when Downs drove in Bowker from third base with an RBI single.
Emmanuel Burriss led off the fourth inning with a triple to left field and was later driven in on a sacrifice fly by Brock Bond to give the Grizzlies a 4-0 lead.
Bowker hit a solo home run deep over the right-field fence to lead off the fifth inning, increasing Fresno's lead to 5-0.
Canahm hit a pinch-hit, RBI triple with two outs in the seventh inning to put the Beavers on the board. He was driven in on a first-pitch, RBI single by Durango to cut the lead to 5-2.
The Beavers and Grizzlies meet again Friday at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific) in the finale of their five-game series at PGE Park.
NOTES: Bowker has hit four of his seven home runs in Triple-A this season off of Beavers pitching.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 24, 2010
- Big First Inning Pushes Sky Sox to 10-5 Win - Reno Aces
- Bowker, Sosa Lead Grizzlies over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Fuld Helps Lift I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express Fall Short Against Albuquerque 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Silence 'Birds in Shutout - Memphis Redbirds
- Davis Sharp in Rehab Start, Sounds Blank Redbirds - Nashville Sounds
- Freight House District to Host World Cup Viewing Party - Reno Aces
- Zephyrs Sign Armando Benitez - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- First-Place Grizzlies Return Home for Twilight Night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Banks Promoted to Houston, Will Start Saturday - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Triple-A All-Star Broadcast Details Announced - PCL
- Triple-A All-Star Umpires Announced - PCL
- PCL Top Prospects Card Set Includes 'Rojo' Card - PCL
- Rainiers Roll By Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- Beavers Sweep Grizzlies With Two 2-1 Wins - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss