Beavers Sweep Grizzlies With Two 2-1 Wins
Josh Barfield drove in the game-winning run with a bases-loaded, pinch-hit single in game one, and Craig Stansberry scored the game-winning run from second base on an infield single by Brad Chalk in game two as the Portland Beavers swept a doubleheader from the Fresno Grizzlies with a pair of 2-1 wins Wednesday night at PGE Park.
With the score tied at one apiece in the seventh inning of game one, Lance Zawadzki and Anthony Contreras reached against Steve Edlefsen (5-1) on a pair of fielding errors. Mitch Canham then moved them up with a grounder to first and Edlefsen intentionally walked Chalk to bring up Barfield, who lifted a fly ball to the warning track in center to score the game-winning run.
In the seventh inning of game two, with the Beavers (29-44) down 1-0, Stansberry stroked a two-out RBI single to center to score Craig Cooper and tie the game. Then, on Chalk's grounder to short, Stansberry, who had advanced to second when center fielder Ben Copeland mishandled his single, aggressively rounded third and just barely beat the tag of Grizzlies catcher Steve Holm to score the winning run.
Ernesto Frieri (3-1) got the win in game one after stranding the two runners he inherited from Tim Stauffer in the seventh. Stauffer, making his fifth rehab start with the Beavers, went 6 1/3 innings, giving up one run on five hits and three walks and striking out five.
Everth Cabrera, also on rehab from San Diego, had the two other Beavers hits in the opener, including an RBI double in the third inning.
Adam Russell (3-5) allowed a run in the top of the seventh inning in game two but earned the victory when the Beavers rallied in the bottom of the frame.
Brett Pill had three hits in the doubleheader for the first-place Grizzlies (45-29), who have lost the first three games of the series after sweeping a three-game set at PGE Park in late April.
Former OSU Beaver Joe Paterson (1-2) took the loss in the second game.
The Grizzlies got their only run of game one on an RBI single by Pill in the first inning.
In game two, neither team was able to put many runners on base, combining for only four hits over the first six innings. But the Grizzlies broke through in the top of the seventh, which started with a leadoff double by Tyler Graham off Russell. Graham moved to third on a groundout and Holm executed a perfect squeeze bunt to bring him home as the Grizzlies grabbed a short-lived lead.
The Beavers and Grizzlies continue their series on Thursday night at PGE Park at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: The Beavers won four straight games for the first time since April 20-23 and for the first time at home all season ... the teams combined for just 15 hits in the doubleheader (14 innings) ... with the win, Portland has guaranteed its first home series win and second series win of the season. The Beavers swept a four-game series in Sacramento, April 20-23 ... Durango stole his 23rd base in the second game and ranks third in the PCL in that department ... in between the Grizzlies' two runs on the evening, Portland pitchers threw 12 consecutive shutout innings ... it was Portland's first sweep in a doubleheader since June 26, 2009, when they took both games from Reno at PGE Park.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 24, 2010
- Big First Inning Pushes Sky Sox to 10-5 Win - Reno Aces
- Bowker, Sosa Lead Grizzlies over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Fuld Helps Lift I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express Fall Short Against Albuquerque 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Silence 'Birds in Shutout - Memphis Redbirds
- Davis Sharp in Rehab Start, Sounds Blank Redbirds - Nashville Sounds
- Freight House District to Host World Cup Viewing Party - Reno Aces
- Zephyrs Sign Armando Benitez - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- First-Place Grizzlies Return Home for Twilight Night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Banks Promoted to Houston, Will Start Saturday - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Triple-A All-Star Broadcast Details Announced - PCL
- Triple-A All-Star Umpires Announced - PCL
- PCL Top Prospects Card Set Includes 'Rojo' Card - PCL
- Rainiers Roll By Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- Beavers Sweep Grizzlies With Two 2-1 Wins - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss