Blue Locks Down Spurs, 90-78
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma City Blue won its fifth consecutive home game by defeating the Austin Spurs, 90-78, on Saturday at the Cox Convention Center. The Blue held the Spurs to an opponent season low of 78 points on 35.7 percent shooting.
Mitch McGary, on assignment from the Oklahoma City Thunder, posted a double-double of 11 points and 10 rebounds with five assists in 23 minutes. Thunder teammate Josh Huestis recorded seven points and six boards in 33 minutes.
Marquis Teague led the Blue's scoring efforts with 22 points with six assists and five rebounds. Dwight Buycks, acquired by the Blue earlier on Saturday, put together 14 points - 13 of which came in the second half. Talib Zanna added 11 points and eight rebounds with a pair of blocks.
"I thought our guys did a good job of helping each other out," said Interim Head Coach Jarell Christian. "We got back in transition which limited their guards getting to the paint. We did a great job of team rebounding, gave up a few offensive rebounds, but overall I thought our defensive intensity carried the whole game."
Trailing 51-49 at halftime, the Blue held Austin to 4-of-25 shooting (16.0 percent) in the third quarter, outscoring the Spurs 22-13 in the frame. An 18-3 run in the quarter turned a deficit into a double-digit lead, as the Blue would go on to lead by five or more for the entire fourth.
Oklahoma City (13-23) limited the Spurs to just four fast-break points on the night.
Austin (21-14) was led by Nick Johnson with 15 points.
The Blue and Spurs face off again Sunday in Austin at 5 p.m. The game will air live on YouTube and OklahomaCityBlue.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 27, 2016
- D-Fenders Win 5th Straight, Beat Idaho - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- D-Fenders Win 5th Straight, Beat Idaho - Idaho Stampede
- RGV Vipers Complete Weekend Sweep of Texas Legends - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Drop Claws 112-95 - Maine Red Claws
- Tight Defense Helps the Iowa Energy Beat Grand Rapids, 94-74 - Grand Rapids Drive
- Andrew Harrison Leads Iowa Energy to Victory in Grand Rapids - Iowa Wolves
- Mychel Thompson Returns to Santa Cruz Warriors - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Blue Locks Down Spurs, 90-78 - Oklahoma City Blue
- Skyforce Acquire Jarnell Stokes - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Blue Acquires Dwight Buycks - Oklahoma City Blue
- Tim Frazier Returns to Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Jam Complete Comeback to Win in OT - Bakersfield Jam
- Santa Cruz Defeats Reno Bighorns - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bighorns Fall to Warriors - Reno Bighorns
- Jam Complete Comeback to Win in OT - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.