Blue Holds Back Stampede
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma City Blue defeated the Idaho Stampede, 91-81, on Friday in its final home game of the regular season. The Blue limited the Stampede to the lowest point total by an opponent this season as Idaho shot 33.3 percent from the field.
Semaj Christon led all scorers with 31 points to go with 10 rebounds, four assists and a pair of steals. Frank Gaines notched 22 points and Xavier Alexander added 14 points and eight boards.
"I thought we had a good week of practice coming into tonight," said Blue Head Coach Mark Daigneault. "We were in the right spots defensively. Since the All-Star break I think our defense has been really good, our guys have really made a commitment on that end of the floor. That's been what's carried us."
Gaines scored 12 points on 4-of-5 shooting in the opening quarter to give the Blue a 19-15 lead through one period. Oklahoma City led by as many as 14 points in the second frame before taking a 43-31 advantage into the half.
Idaho outscored the Blue 33-23 in the third quarter and used a 9-4 run at the close of the frame to cut Oklahoma City's lead to two. The Stampede tied the game at 66 with 11:23 remaining in the game before the Blue 19-5 run to lead 85-71 midway through the fourth. Oklahoma City led by nine or more points for the remainder of the game to finish the season with a 16-9 home record.
Oklahoma City (27-22) pulled down 54 rebounds behind Talib Zanna's 13 boards.
Idaho (8-41) was led by Jared Cunningham with 28 points and eight rebounds.
With one game remaining in the regular season, Oklahoma City is tied with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference. The Blue faces the Erie BayHawks on Saturday in Erie, Pa., while the Vipers, who hold the tiebreaker, host the Los Angeles D-Fenders in Hidalgo, Texas. For more information, visit OklahomaCityBlue.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 3, 2015
- Warriors' Fourth Quarter Rally Falls Short - Santa Cruz Warriors
- The Bighorns Finish the Season with a Victory over the Warriors - Reno Bighorns
- Red Claws Clinch Victory in Final Seconds - Texas Legends
- Win Keeps Fort Wayne in Control of Their Playoff Destiny - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Blue Holds Back Stampede - Oklahoma City Blue
- Austin Spurs Take Down Los Angeles D-Fenders - Austin Spurs
- Idaho Topped by Christon, Oklahoma City - Idaho Stampede
- Charge Drop Regular Season Home Finale - Canton Charge
- Curry's 35-Point Effort Leads BayHawks over Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Damien Wilkins Leads Energy to Victory over Charge - Iowa Wolves
- Westchester Knicks Drop Road Finale - Westchester Knicks
- Dwight Buycks Called up to Los Angeles Lakers - Oklahoma City Blue
- Lakers Sign Dwight Buycks - G League
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Kevin Foster - Westchester Knicks
- Mavericks Reassign Dwight Powell to the Texas Legends - Texas Legends
- Mavericks Reassign Dwight Powell to the Texas Legends - G League
- Cavs Assign Joe Harris to Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- Cavs Assign Joe Harris to Canton Charge - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Blue Stories
- Oklahoma City Announces Coaching Staff Updates
- Oklahoma City Acquires Returning Player Rights to Beau Beech and First-Round Draft Pick
- Thunder Signs Devon Hall to Two-Way Contract
- Oklahoma City Blue Announces 2019-20 Regular-Season Schedule
- Oklahoma City Wins Overtime Nail-Biter