Curry's 35-Point Effort Leads BayHawks over Drive
GRAND RAPIDS - April 3 - The Erie BayHawks (24-25) made the most of their last road game of the season on Friday night, defeating the Grand Rapids Drive (22-27) by a score of 122-110.
The Drive had the upper hand early, opening the game on a 17-5 run where they held the BayHawks to 2-of-7 from the field and forced four turnovers.
This strong defensive showing by the Drive did not last long, however, and the BayHawks were able to do virtually whatever they wanted offensively for the remainder of the game.
They closed the gap and finished the first quarter up 28-27, and scored 36 points in the second quarter to take an 11-point lead going into halftime.
The Drive closed the lead down to five with just under six minutes to go in the fourth quarter, but it was a short-lived threat to Erie's win as the BayHawks sunk a few clutch baskets soon after.
Seth Curry, the D-League's second-leading scorer and fourth-best prospect according to the league website, absolutely dominated the first half for Erie. Despite coming off the bench, Curry already had 27 points at halftime, finished with 35 points and hit five three-pointers.
Keith Appling came along in the second half for Erie, scoring 31 points with six rebounds and four assists. Lenzelle Smith also scored 25 points.
The Drive had their fair share of contributors on offense as well. Hasheem Thabeet posted 23 points, 10 rebounds and three blocks. Nate Wolters added 20 points and five assists and Kevin Murphy had 18 points off the bench.
The Drive shot a blistering 57 percent from the field, but were held back by only making three three-pointers on the day, to the BayHawks' 10.
Erie also had advantages in rebounding, assists, and avoiding turnovers. Grand Rapids continued to struggle with ball movement, as they rank last in the league in assists.
Both these teams will play their final games of the season tomorrow, April 4th at 7 p.m. Erie hosts the Oklahoma City Blue, and The Drive head to Delaware to take on the 87ers.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 3, 2015
- Warriors' Fourth Quarter Rally Falls Short - Santa Cruz Warriors
- The Bighorns Finish the Season with a Victory over the Warriors - Reno Bighorns
- Red Claws Clinch Victory in Final Seconds - Texas Legends
- Win Keeps Fort Wayne in Control of Their Playoff Destiny - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Blue Holds Back Stampede - Oklahoma City Blue
- Austin Spurs Take Down Los Angeles D-Fenders - Austin Spurs
- Idaho Topped by Christon, Oklahoma City - Idaho Stampede
- Charge Drop Regular Season Home Finale - Canton Charge
- Curry's 35-Point Effort Leads BayHawks over Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Damien Wilkins Leads Energy to Victory over Charge - Iowa Wolves
- Westchester Knicks Drop Road Finale - Westchester Knicks
- Dwight Buycks Called up to Los Angeles Lakers - Oklahoma City Blue
- Lakers Sign Dwight Buycks - G League
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Kevin Foster - Westchester Knicks
- Mavericks Reassign Dwight Powell to the Texas Legends - Texas Legends
- Mavericks Reassign Dwight Powell to the Texas Legends - G League
- Cavs Assign Joe Harris to Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- Cavs Assign Joe Harris to Canton Charge - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.