Blackhawks Name King Head Coach of Rockford IceHogs
ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that they have named Derek King head coach of the Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League. In addition, Anders Sörensen received a multi-year contract extension to remain an assistant coach for Rockford.
King, 52, replaced current Blackhawks Head Coach Jeremy Colliton as interim head coach of the IceHogs on Nov. 6, 2018. He led the team to a 29-28-3-4 record. King was originally named assistant coach of the IceHogs on July 7, 2016 and just completed his third season with the organization. Prior to joining the Blackhawks organization, he worked as assistant and associate coach with the Toronto Marlies of the AHL from 2009-15. With the Marlies, he helped the team win one Western Conference Championship (2012) and three North Division Championships (2012, 2013, 2014).
The Hamilton, Ontario, native had a 14-year National Hockey League career that began with the New York Islanders during the 1986-87 season. After 11 seasons with the Islanders, King also played with the Hartford Whalers and Toronto Maple Leafs. His last stop in the NHL came during the 1999-2000 season, playing for the St. Louis Blues.
King totaled 261 goals and 351 assists in 830 career NHL games. In 47 career Stanley Cup Playoffs games, he recorded 21 points (4G, 17A). He was originally selected as the 13th overall pick in the 1985 NHL Draft by the New York Islanders.
Sörensen, 43, joined the IceHogs as an assistant coach on Jan. 4, 2019, replacing current Blackhawks Assistant Coach Sheldon Brookbank. Sörensen was in his fifth season as development coach for the Chicago Blackhawks organization before joining Rockford's staff. Prior to working with the Blackhawks, the Södertälje, Sweden, native spent the 2014-15 season as head coach of the Chicago Mission U16 club and the 2010-11 season as head coach of the Chicago Mission U18 team. Sorensen was previously an assistant coach with the Swedish Hockey League's Södertälje from 2011-13 before serving as interim head coach in October 2013.
Season Tickets for 2019-20 on Sale Now:
Don't miss a moment of the action next season. Reserve your seats for the IceHogs' 21st season of professional hockey in Rockford and 13th as the top AHL affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks. The IceHogs' home opener is set for Oct. 12 and ticket packages begin as low as $132 for an eight-game mini pack. Contact us at (815) 847-6399 or visit icehogs.com to claim your spots for this upcoming season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 25, 2019
- Lorito scores at 1:13 of overtime to force winner-take-all Game 5 on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Marlies to Face Cleveland Monsters in Second Round of 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - Toronto Marlies
- Bears Fall in Overtime, Series Extends to Game 5 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Blank Crunch 3-0 to Advance to North Division Finals - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Fall to Monsters, 3-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland Monsters Advance to North Division Finals - Cleveland Monsters
- Blackhawks Name King Head Coach of Rockford IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Eagles Announce Series of Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- 'Canes Recall Bishop from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- T-Birds' Goals for Groceries Initiative Provides 14,100 Meals to Food Bank of Western Mass - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Battle in Must-Win Game 4 Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. (Atlantic Division Semifinals - Game 4) - Hershey Bears
- Goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen Undergoes Successful Hip Surgery - Rochester Americans
- Gulls Knockout San Jose, 5-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Eliminated from Playoffs After 5-2 Loss to San Diego - San Jose Barracuda
- San Diego Gulls Advance to Pacific Division Finals - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins and Wolves to Play Decisive Game 5 - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs, Versteeg Mutually Agree on Release from AHL Contract
- Warm up with the IceHogs During Stroll on State
- Sock Giveaway, Free Tickets for Service Members on Military Appreciation Night
- Hogs D-Man Ian McCoshen to Match Fan Donations for Brovember
- Free IceHogs Tickets for Military Members on Saturday, November 16