Barracuda Eliminated from Playoffs After 5-2 Loss to San Diego
San Jose, Ca - On the brink of elimination, the San Jose Barracuda (1-3) looked to extend their best-of-five series to a fifth game on Wednesday at the SAP Center but despite an early start the San Diego Gulls (3-1) (Anaheim Ducks) found a way to storm back and take the series 3-1 and the game 5-2.
The Barracuda came out of the gates firing when Alex True (1) carried a puck across the slot and ripped a wrist shot from above the left face-off circle that beat San Diego netminder Jeff Glass' five-hole only 50 seconds into the game. The Gulls would even the score at 15:46 when Sam Carrick (2) received a pass from Corey Tropp and slapped in a one-timer from the low slot. The first was a tale of two halves as San Jose outshot the Gulls 10-to-one at one point before San Diego put nine of the period's final 10 shots on net to close out the frame.
Early in the second, the Gulls capitalized on a four minute power-play when Andy Welinski (1) bombed a slapshot from the left point that beat a screened Josef Korenar at 3:43. At 6:43, San Diego would strike again when they took advantage of a turnover deep in San Jose's zone that ended up on the tape of Sam Steel (3) who wired a snapshot from in-between the face-off dots over the blocker of Korenar to take a 3-1 lead. San Jose would cut the deficit in half at 13:39 on the power-play when Nick DeSimone (1) blasted a shot from the left blue line that beat Glass over the glove hand to make it 3-2.
The Gulls scored first in the third period on another defensive zone turnover by San Jose, Matt Berry sent a wrister from just inside of the right face-off circle that grazed off the blade of Adam Cracknell (2) and in at 5:12. The Gulls locked down defensively from that point forward and tacked on an empty net goal from Chase De Leo (4) to hold on and win 5-2.
Glass (3-1) earned the victory for San Diego by stopping 30 of 32 shots, while Korenar (1-3) took the loss for San Jose surrendering four goals on 29 shots.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 25, 2019
- Lorito scores at 1:13 of overtime to force winner-take-all Game 5 on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Marlies to Face Cleveland Monsters in Second Round of 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - Toronto Marlies
- Bears Fall in Overtime, Series Extends to Game 5 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Blank Crunch 3-0 to Advance to North Division Finals - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Fall to Monsters, 3-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland Monsters Advance to North Division Finals - Cleveland Monsters
- Blackhawks Name King Head Coach of Rockford IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Eagles Announce Series of Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- 'Canes Recall Bishop from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- T-Birds' Goals for Groceries Initiative Provides 14,100 Meals to Food Bank of Western Mass - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Battle in Must-Win Game 4 Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. (Atlantic Division Semifinals - Game 4) - Hershey Bears
- Goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen Undergoes Successful Hip Surgery - Rochester Americans
- Gulls Knockout San Jose, 5-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Eliminated from Playoffs After 5-2 Loss to San Diego - San Jose Barracuda
- San Diego Gulls Advance to Pacific Division Finals - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins and Wolves to Play Decisive Game 5 - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Barracuda Stories
- John McCarthy Named 2019-20 Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Winner
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Team Award Winners
- San Jose Barracuda Sign Forward Kyle Topping
- San Jose Barracuda Sign Forward Joseph Garreffa
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season